This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Over the years, I have had several friends look at my art pieces and comment that they wished that they could do art. However, I always encouraged them to stop holding back and make their own art. I think what is stopping people from creating their own work is that they have an idea of what art is in their heads and are comparing their own ability with others. Although, it’s hard to not compare to others sometimes. When I was younger, I would also get frustrated when I tried to emulate another artist’s style and it did not come out the way I wanted. However, as soon I tried to experiment with my drawing style, try different mediums, and let go of this idea of “perfection”, I became much more satisfied with my work. I no longer was trying to copy someone else’s style and instead created my own.

After all, what makes art so beautiful is that it is so diverse. Art is a word that can be interpreted in so many different ways. Essentially, there are no rules for art! If you are unsatisfied with your work, then try something new and make sure you practice. Creating art is a skill just like any other and in order to get better at it you should do it over and over again. Also, what is nice about art is that it can be a way to express yourself, act as a form of therapy, and inspire people to think in new ways. Therefore, I encourage those holding themselves back to create a piece of art and be proud that they did actually did it instead of wishing that they could.

Just an average girl, living in an average world, with an above average love for love.