Dare To Declutter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

For my seventh poetry task I decided to get down and do something with my hands. While I was home for Thanksgiving break, I knew exactly what needed to be done. I needed to take care of the momentous mess that was my room. I had neglected my room at my family’s house since moving into my dorm at college. I had treated my room back at home like it was a storage unit. I stuffed anything that I didn’t want to deal with in my room. This became a problem when I had to sleep in that room.

I decided to give my room a deep cleaning. I turned on my music and got to work, this cleaning was going to be inevitable. I went through my closet and donated all the clothes that I no longer wear. It was a bit embarrassing the amount of clothes I have collected over the past few years. As a big fan of thrifting and bargain shopping (especially in the Target clearance racks), I hadn’t realized all the clothes I had acquired. Also, I packed all the decorations that I want to take with me when I move.

I did get a little distracted from going through all my old pictures and letters, since I think I am the most sentimental person on this planet. But after divulging and drowning in my memories for a little bit, it was back to cleaning.

The whole process ended up being pretty physically demanding. Lifting, climbing on my later, stretching, pulling, and carrying things down my stairs. But the physical labor was worth the hassle. I felt completely at peace when I looked around to see a clean and calm space.

Decluttering my room also decluttered my head. As cheesy as it sounds, the cleaning process was therapeutic and very very necessary. Happy holidays, and happy cleaning!

Lover of words, music, traveling, dogs, and chocolate chip cookies.