element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Buddy The Elf What’s Your Favorite Color!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Watching Elf has turned into a christmas tradition for my family. If you call any Ewing family members during the month of December, the first thing you will hear when they pick up the line is “buddy the elf whats your favorite color?” This holiday tradition developed almost instantly after Elf’s release in 2003. Now admittedly, this movie it is up against some pretty amazing classics such as Home Alone or the Grinch, but Elf is a Christmas movie that never gets old. While everyone has that one (or three) holiday movies from their childhood that are held close to their heart, Elf is definitely not only mine but the whole Ewing clan’s all time favorite holiday movie. 

I’m aware of the boldness of this statement; but hear me out. A great Christmas movies need to contain three things (besides the obvious holiday element): quotable lines, a great plot to make it stand out from the rest, and an important message. When you consider another great Christmas movie such as Home Alone, all three boxes are checked. I am convinced these three pillars make a great Christmas film, and Elf checks all these boxes and more. 

“The best way to spread Christmas cheer, is singing loud for all to hear.” “We elves try to stick to the four main food groups: candy, candy canes, candy corn and syrup.” “You have such a pretty face. You should be on a Christmas card.” These are just three great lines from Elf. The quotability of this movie is everlasting; and if you disagree, “you sit on a throne of lies!” 

The plot of this movie is unmatched! Long story short and without spoiling it for the cotton-headed ninny muggins who haven’t seen it yet… A baby crawls into santa’s sack and ends up in the North Pole and is raised by Elves. As an adult, Santa allows him to go find his birth father, who’s on the naughy list, in New York City. Buddy’s integration as an “elf” into NYC human life is arguably the most humorous and heartwarming aspect of the movie. This plot is not only unique, but hilarious. The casting of Will Ferrell as Buddy makes the movie even better because he fully embraces the role. 

Elf contains many messages. Some of my favorites are: 

1. SMILE MORE “I just like to smile! Smiling is my favorite.” – Buddy The Elf

2. Be yourself! Buddy did not give a hoot about what people thought about him and I always admire that. Though he struggled with his identity because he is a human raised by elves, Buddy always strived to be himself and not conform to the world around him.

3. Speak your mind. Buddy didn’t have a filter. While this was often problematic for him, we 

can all definitely learn from his confidence and compassion. 

This movie contains tremendous christmas spirit, life lessons, and quotable lines that never fail to make me laugh. 

Olivia Ewing

Denison '22

Welcome! I'm an Anthropology/Sociology and Black Studies double major from Atlanta, Georgia. I love listening to music, reading and relaxing in my down time. I'm passionate about social activism and spreading love & positivity. My articles should reflect that :)