This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

“…there was a language in the world that everyone understood,…It was the language of enthusiasm, of things accomplished with love and purpose, and as part of a search for something believed in and desired” Coelho, “The Alchemist”, 1988

After doing a lot of necessary soul searching and personal experiments, I’ve stumbled across many life changing lessons, principals, even stories. With all this uncertain time on my hands, I had the opportunity to reread The Alchemist for the 3rd time. In doing so, it might just be the isolation-brain talking, but I felt that I was able to appreciate the novel in a way that I had never really perceived it prior. Being away from life as we’ve known it has been a hard and unsettling transition. Interesting enough, I can say that this novel changed the way I felt about the situation I was in, that I’m sure many of you are in, for the better.

So what is alchemy? Though it involves many complexities, it can be summarized as an ancient study of naturally existing philosophy where the everlasting process of changing, transforming, and creating new within the composition of metals in chemistry, where matter is the focus on the transformation from purity and simplicity to complexity and gold, or the universal elixir. In a literal application, alchemists spend their lifetimes perfecting the purification of a metal, isolating it into its most simple, natural form, where the hopeful outcome is true, magical treasure. 

The process of isolating something/anything in its pure or ‘perfect’ form is impossible without change. Change, in theory, is inevitable and though it may come during times when it’s least wanted or expected, I do believe it’s necessary. Change can come in any way, shape, or form, and it’s clear that big changes that place a hold on your life – or alter your life to the extent that it’ll never be the same- are generally undesired and feared. I say that ‘everything happens for a reason’ time and time again, and I’m sure my friends and family have gotten sick of hearing that from me. Over the past few years, some of my worst and best experiences have only supported that idea, that everything does happen for a reason. Sometimes it really doesn’t make sense and it just isn’t fair, but in the end every experience is what you make it.

The Lalaholding Beaker
Her Campus Media

A repetitive theme is recurring the more I delve into the science of the mind and the soul. You are in control of the experience that you have. The way that fate and the universe have intertwined, your path was already there, destined for you, beginning at the start of your birth and coming to close at the end of your age. Your fate and destiny is not in control, but you have the power to control the experience you have on your path to your destiny. Everything is rooted deep into one’s mindset, where you actively, and consciously, have the power to change your direction of thinking, to better support your path. Having a positive mindset, using the “language of enthusiasm” metaphysically equips you to enter each new episode of life with optimism and open-mindedness, preparing you for anything and everything. Because anything and everything is good in moderation, and this mindset is accomplished through the use of the language of enthusiasm throughout every task you face. This doesn’t solve world problems, I am very aware of that, but maybe going through life with a mindset prepared to accept change with a form of enthusiasm will bring you some light.

Nicole Zeid

Denison '22

Hey there! I'm a compassionate positivity advocate from Columbus, Ohio, and I'm a sophomore majoring in Biology and minoring in Anthropology Sociology at Denison University. I’m lover of music, the great outdoors, and traveling! I live by the ideas of giving more than what you take, and doing more of what makes you happy.
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.