This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

If I were to tell someone who did not attend my college that I would spend my Friday night watching naked people run outside the dorm buildings, they might assume that the campus police would be called soon after. But this is in fact a tradition at Denison that has been going on for years. It’s called Naked Week! 

While some people may think of this as silly and crude, this has actually been an effective way for Denison students to increase awareness of body image and eating disorders by spreading body positivity. Students run around different quads throughout the week wearing as little to no clothes as they wish, all abiding by the different themes such as funny socks or splatter paint on certain days. While people watch from their windows or even go outside to get a good view, the campus creates a very safe environment by cheering the runners on, prohibiting others to take pictures or videos to protect the privacy of fellow students. As the runners and watchers are yelling and chanting, it creates a sense of comradery and celebration for one another. 

be kind
Photo by Vie Studio from Pexels

While I did not participate this year, two of my best friends on campus ran on Friday. One of my friends was very apprehensive to participate in the event, and even refused to run at the beginning of the week. But after running this Friday he was very glad that he did because the energy throughout campus made the experience liberating and celebratory. It was a great experience to cheer them on and I am going to try to push myself to participate my senior year. Definitely one of those activities at college that you need to do at least once. 

Hi! My name is Nicole and I am a junior at Denison! I am majoring in English Creative Writing, minoring in Communication, with a concentration in Narrative Journalism. Along with writing, I love documentaries, being outside, thrifting, and crafting!
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.