This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Coming back from spring break there is more excitement and life on campus. In the next few weeks, the warm weather surfaces on campus, and sprouts of buds bring students outside. Seasonal depression melts away and is replaced by the longing for summer vacation. When I look back on my first year at Denison, there were many highlights and times that define the beginning of this period of college. I learned to be independent living away from home and found people who make me a better person by pushing me to try new things. As I think back to August Orientation the excitement of starting fresh somewhere and the friendships that will last a lifetime. I think back to certain moments in particular that defined this new chapter in my life. The moments in life prepare and set you up for the future and long-term goals that you set for yourself. My goal for the last five weeks is to live through the present moment both difficult and the good ones willing to try to make the most of them. You work through the hard moments for the good ones. When I was in high school I always wanted to get to the next step in my life and then I would be happy. I would constantly say oh I just need to get to college then I’ll be happy at the beginning of the year I told my mom I just want to be an adult and have a job but as you wish these moments and times in your life away you can’t even go back to them. 

I came into freshman year as a bud reserved and just trying to find my place among people who were already grounded. I found my footing as I gained confidence and took opportunities that allowed me to blossom into the person I have become. I have a new sense of maturity and perspective on how I started to see myself, through not comparing myself to others.

My name is Caroline and I am a first-year at Denison University and am from Boston, MA. I am studying psychology and considering a pre-med track. In my spare time I enjoy traveling, reading, playing tennis and spending time with my friends. I'm writing about topics I am passionate in and hope to form connections with people through my writing.