This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

For many, October may mean the start of the fall or the month of Halloween, but for Delta Gammas and the rest of the community at Denison, October means Anchor Splash!

This year, the annual philanthropic event hosted by Delta Gamma was held on October 4th. It is preceded with weeklong competitions ranging from sundae and cupcake purchases from local eateries to a sight awareness quiz. Throughout the week, teams compete in these competitions for points that will contribute to their score on the final event, a synchronized dance and swim along with a variety of relays.

For the last few years, another sorority on campus, Delta Delta Delta has “won” the entire event by having the most points from the events during the week as well as having an outstanding dance performed by members of their sorority. However, this week, friendly competition was at an all-time high when another sorority, Pi Beta Phi, showed intense commitment and dedication to “do good” for Service for Sight, Delta Gamma’s philanthropy. This spurred further engagement and competition – everyone was anxious for the event to hear the total amount raised and who would be crowned this year’s winner.

Pi Beta Phi came through with a victory for the sororities and Beta Theta Pi was crowned the winner for the fraternities.. After breaking a tradition, the following years will be full of friendly competition to see who will regain the Anchor Splash crown and raise money for Service for Sight. It’s on! After a crazy, entertaining, successful Anchor Splash event, Delta Gamma was proud to announce their own victory: they raised a total of $8,487.23 for Service For Sight. A portion additionally benefits Licking County Center for the Visually Impaired, a local organization. 

Laura is a Sophomore at Denison University where she studies communication and spanish. In her free time she watches New Girl and fantasizes about being Jennifer Anniston. She is also a member of Delta Gamma. You can follow her on twitter (@estes_laura) and instagram (laurajestes).
I am an English Creative Writing major from Los Angeles, California. In addition to my Her Campus responsibilities, I am also the Editor-in-Chief of Denison's student newspaper. I am involved in Greek life on campus as a sister of Pi Beta Phi. I have an insatiable passion for all things Harry Potter. When I'm not in class, you can find me taking long naps, reading, biking or binge watching Netflix.