This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

I really wanted to write an article this week that wasn’t about coronavirus, quarantine, or self-isolation. But that’s the reality right now, all of my activities and ”routine” are a result of the stay-at-home order. I’ve been quarantining with my father and I’ve noticed that we have different habits every week day evening. While he tunes in the 6 o’clock news to get an update on what’s going on in the world (shocker- it’s not good!), I excitedly await 7:30 p.m. to see my man Alex Trebek on Jeopardy!

Don’t get me wrong, I know that the news is important. But at this time, I think it just makes me more crazy. The news is not usually very optimistic because there’s always something wrong in the world, but it is especially depressing nowadays. It’s not the newscasters’ fault but there’s not much “news” happening, it’s basically the same stories over and over again just told in a different way. That’s why I have found solace in the trivia quiz-show hosted by Trebek.

News magazine covers on a rack, including Time and The Economist
Photo by Markus Spiske on Unsplash

Jeopardy! is something fun in which to look forward. The contestants are always changing and the questions are never the same. It challenges me intellectually and boosts my confidence when I get questions correct. I also start to form personal connections with the contestants, a symptom of stir-craziness I think! My poor father, he’ll be cooking dinner and hear me shouting at the television. 

Throughout this craziness, Jeopardy! is one thing that comes on at the same time every night that has allowed me to have some sort of a routine. I look forward to watching it and I am genuinely bummed when I miss it. So you can have your Nightly News with Lester Holt, but I’ll stick with Jeopardy!

In conclusion: Alex Trebek, I love you.

Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.