AAUW at Denison

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

AAUW at Denison

Ellie Toth

This year, Denison has become one of the few colleges to create their very own branch of AAUW! AAUW stands for The American Association of University Women and has been around since 1881.  AAUW’s goal is to empower women and promote equality.  With over 170,000 members and supporters, AAUW has grown immensely from 1881.  Do you have questions about AAUW? We have answers!

1. What is AAUW?

AAUW is a national group that empowers women.  It focuses on creating equality in many different areas such as career, and education.  Some of the issues that they focus on include, Campus Leadership, which focuses on the next generation of leading women, Public Policy, which promotes policies that support equality, and Legal advocacy, which helps women with sex discrimination.  They also give grants that support women in their career and academic lives.  

1. Who can join AAUW?

Any woman at Denison can join AAUW! It is a very small time commitment with many benefits! Not only do you gain insight as to the equality situation in the United States, you also become part of a nationally known group dedicated to improving that equality.  It’s a win-win situation.  

1. How do I sign up?

It’s easy! To become a national member, go to www.aauw.org, and click on “join.”  There are also many internship opportunities that they offer to undergraduates with a dedication to empowering women! To be more involved in the Denison branch of AAUW, contact Allie Colina at colina_a1@denison.edu!

Kaitlin is a sophomore at Denison University in Granville, Ohio. She is currently studying Economics with a minor in Communication. When Kaitlin isn't studying, you can find her attending events for her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta, writing articles, playing tennis, or watching Bravo obsessively.  As a Bravo fangirl, she would love to meet Andy Cohen.