This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

It’s no surprise that Saturday Night Live is one of the longest running comedy shows in American TV history. From the iconic More Cowbell skit to Bill Hader’s beloved Stefon character, there’s something for everyone on NBC’s popular comedy sketch show. The cast has featured famous comedians including Steve Martin, Eddie Murphy, Maya Rudolph, Amy Poehler, Will Ferrell, Tim Meadows, and Tina Fey. The current cast includes longtime member Kenan Thompson, Cecily Strong, Pete Davidson, Denison alum Alex Moffat, and many other talented comedians. I grew up watching SNL with my parents on Sunday night, one night after the episodes aired because my mom and I could never stay up late enough on Saturdays. And although my parents are partial to the show’s much earlier seasons, I can’t help but appreciate the newer seasons that are catered to a slightly younger audience. Here are seven skits from the past 10 years that prove that SNL is still, and will always be, in its prime.

1. A Thanksgiving Miracle – This skit was featured at the height of Adele’s hit song Hello. If you’ve ever dreaded family reunions because of political differences among family members, this skit will make you cry over its accuracy. Plus who doesn’t want to see Beck Bennett and Jay Pharoh dressed up like Adele, fake nails and all?

2. Pool Boy – This pool boy skit is credited for the birth of Chad, Pete Davidson’s most iconic bits, who also happens to be of mine and my mom’s favorite recurring characters. 

After watching this video, you’ll say, “I definitely know a Chad.”  Watching this skit will not only make you realize that you too have a Chad in your life, it’ll also desperately make you want to call him up to clean your pool. 

3. Basketball Scene – Featuring the two most dedicated movie extras you’ve ever seen who can’t for the life of them shoot a basketball. Watch this skit if you’re interested in seeing Jimmy Fallon get nailed in the face by a basketball.

4. Swat Recon – Here’s all you need to know about this skit: it features Chris Pine in a backpack fashion show.

5. Diner Lobster – I’m not exaggerating when I say that the first time I saw this skit, I screamed. Why, you might ask, did you scream? Because this bit features John Mulaney as a diner server, Pete Davidson as the crazy guy who ordered lobster at a diner, and Kenan Thompson and Kate McKinnon as two lobsters who sing Les Misérables. Les Misérables is one of my favorite musicals of all time and, I must say, I think I prefer the lobster version. Even if you don’t like musicals, I guarantee you’ll love the costumes.

6. Trees – AKA probably the best music video in TV history. As a huge fan of The Lorax, to me, this tree rap is the best thing since sliced bread. All I’m saying is that if Pete Davidson and Chris Redd were to drop this on Spotify, I’d be the song’s top listener.

7. Barbie Instagram – Two job candidates who don’t know anything about the world, angry company executives who are a little too passionate about Barbie dolls, and an angsty Donald Glover. What more could you want?

Fiona Schultz

Denison '23

Fiona is a senior at Denison University who works as the Senior Editor and Co-Chapter Coordinator for the Denison Chapter of Her Campus. She is from Minneapolis, Minnesota and is pursuing a History major as well as two minors in Political Science and Environmental Studies. Her favorite pastimes include reading mystery novels, making curated playlists, and catching up on politics.