5 Ways to Be Witchy this Spooky Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Halloween has never been my favorite holiday for one major reason-  I HATE being scared. However, I like everything else about October 31 including candy, pumpkin everything, costumes, apples, Thriller, cider,, Charlie Brown and the Great Pumpkin, and did I mention candy? But scaring is a no no.

On the other hand, something I do enjoy is the magical, witchy vibe created by chill winds, crunchy leaves, and cloudy skies. In the last few years, I have been inspired by this enchanted feeling and found it fun to dip into witchy things to carry out that vibe. Tarot card readings, crystals, and other magical fables are my attempt at trying to pretend I actually go to Hogwarts instead of Denison.

While I am no expert in this branch of spirituality, I want to share a few of the fun ways that I like to add a little sparkle to the otherwise scary spooky season. 

1. Astrology (I know, I’m a basic witch)

Astrology has become popular and mainstream these days and is a fun way to be entertained and laugh about how accurately astrologists can predict everything from your favorite food to your deepest unconfessed secrets (it really is creepy sometimes).

My personal favorite websites for horoscope readings are by The Astro Twins and Co Star Astrology. I also enjoy several horoscope accounts on Instagram including @costarastrology, @astrotwins, and @cancerdailyhoroscope (hey, fellow crabs!). I also enjoy the horoscope memes on @hercampus too lol.

2. Tarot Card Readings

I got my first tarot deck in 2018 barely knowing anything about the practice. I just knew it seemed magical and I wanted to bring a little of that into my own life. I do not give myself readings regularly, but when I do, I always enjoy the fun of deciphering how the cards fit into my life and what I can expect in the future.

If you have your own tarot deck, I recommend Biddy Tarot to help you with tarot reading basics and card meanings. If you don’t have your own deck, you can still experience the magic of tarot through The Gem Goddess on YouTube. Gem gives Pick a Card readings that are accessible to anyone and rely on your intuition to pick the pile of cards that are right for you.

pumpkins
Photo by Ylanite Koppens from Pexels

3. Acorns

I have been constantly stepping on acorns on my walks to class this fall, but until recently, I never knew about their magical qualities. Tales have it that wearing an acorn around the neck brings youth, luck, and protection. Collected on a full moon, they attract fairies (there’s a full moon on Oct. 31, how spooky!). Carried in a pocket, they remedy illness and loneliness. Placed in a window, they promote wisdom and prosperity. I have had an acorn in my window for a couple weeks and life has been pretty good. I’ll keep you updated.

4. Essential Oils

One of my favorite “potions” made of essential oils is one for the home. Simply mix together rosemary and spearmint oils with warm water and spray or rub it around your living space to bring love, wisdom, and protection to your nest. Some of my other favorites include using lavender for sleep, tea tree for cleansing, and sage for calming.

5. Self-Affirmations + Gratitude Expressions

While there are many witchy spells to be found on the internet, I find that speaking self-affirmations and gratitude expressions create the same magical effect. When I affirm myself and thank others, I feel a warm spot rise in my chest that fills me up, which is pretty magical if you ask me. Here are some of my favorites:

• Self-Affirmations

• I have so many people that love me.

• I belong here.

• I am interesting and smart and important. 

• I am safe and strong.

• Gratitude Statements

• I am grateful for the unconditional support of my family and true friends.

• I am grateful for the food filling my belly and the clothes warming my body.

• I am grateful to be breathing right now. *que deep breathe*

• I am grateful that I have made it this far and still have so many great things left ahead of me.

“We do not need magic to transform the world. We carry all the power we need inside ourselves already.” – J.K. Rowling *

“Watch carefully the magic that occurs when you give a person just enough comfort to be themselves.” – atticus

*I wholeheartedly oppose the transphobic statements made by J.K. Rowling. She just happens to have created a magical world I fell in love with, so I hope she soon finds the magic in her heart to love others.

Grace

Denison '22

Grace is a senior Educational Studies and History double major with a Women's and Gender Studies minor from a small town in Northeast Ohio. When she's not busy studying or writing for Her Campus, you can find her spending time with family and friends, playing volleyball with her BFFs, listening to country music, or eating choclate chip cookies :)
Claire is a Cleveland native in her fourth & final year at Denison University and is excited to continue her role as the Co-President for the Denison chapter! While she studies Spanish and Political Science, she loves to write in her spare time. She wants to emphasize topics that she is passionate about, spread positivity and optimism in the world, and connect with people through her writing. When she isn't writing or studying, you can find Claire spending time with her family and friends, staying active, enjoying the outdoors, or listening to music.