5 Times We Can Relate to “Elf” During Exams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Denison chapter.

Besides being absolutely hilarious, the movie Elf, starring Will Ferrell, has some relatable moments in it, too. With all the deadlines and cramming involved in ending the semester, it’s easy to forget about the quickly approaching holidays. But you can keep Christmas in the forefront of your brain while studying, as you relate the things going on in your life now to Elf.  Here are some times:

1.     When brainstorming for that research paper coming up

Eugene: [brainstorming for a new book] What about this: a tribe of asparagus children, but they’re self-conscious about the way their pee smells.

In the final weeks of the semester, our brains are just not cranking out ideas like they used to.

2. The morning of exams

Emily: So, Buddy, how’d you sleep?

Buddy: Great! I got a full 40 minutes!

Forty minutes?  That sounds pretty blissful compared to what we’re getting around here.

3. Reviewing for finals

Buddy: I’m a cotton-headed ninny-muggins.

We just can’t seem to remember all this information!

4. When your professor adds to the syllabus

Buddy: [after getting beat up by Miles Finch] He must be a South Pole elf.

5. When the deadline gets pushed back for one assignment

Buddy: [quickly, and high pitched] I love you. I love you! I LOVE YOU!

Somebody’s back on the nice list!

Even when you feel like you can’t possibly fit any Christmas cheer in your head, at least you can remember that Buddy the Elf has gone through all the same emotions. If you are ever feeling overwhelmed, just sit back and think about what Buddy would say: “The best way to spread Christmas Cheer, is singing loud for all to hear.”

I am an English/Creative writing major at Denison University and a member of the class of 2019.
I am an English Creative Writing major from Los Angeles, California. In addition to my Her Campus responsibilities, I am also the Editor-in-Chief of Denison's student newspaper. I am involved in Greek life on campus as a sister of Pi Beta Phi. I have an insatiable passion for all things Harry Potter. When I'm not in class, you can find me taking long naps, reading, biking or binge watching Netflix.