Voices from the Hills: Reading Books from India’s North East

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

The inclusivity of India’s mainstream literary discourses stands questionable time and time again looking at the skewed representation and overlooking of the wealth of varied literature produced from the North East. The acknowledgment of literature from these regions has been a very recent phenomenon and one that certainly requires our collective efforts in order to sensitize ourselves about the region through these rich stories embedded with centuries of collective struggles and diverse cultural histories.

Literature from these regions is imbibed with rich representative elements of their varied yet deeply interconnected histories thereby showcasing the inherent diversity of the region. Let the following six books be your tour guide as you traverse through these hills and beyond.

1)THESE HILLS CALLED HOME: STORIES FROM A WAR ZONE BY TEMSULA AO

This is a collection of evocative short stories depicting the collective tumultuous experiences of the Nagas during the peak insurgency period of the 1960s and 1970s as they negotiate with their endangered identities and shared cultural ethos. The book also raises the sensitive issue of ‘intergenerational trauma’ as the author sifts seamlessly to represent the memories of the lived trauma of the older generation perhaps left untold or unheard. All in all, Ao brings forth a series of heart-jerking tales of people searching for lost identities amidst terrors and insurgencies to narrate a tale central to the heart of the region.

2)LEGENDS OF PENSAM BY MAMANG DAI

This fully intriguing work by Mamang Dai spans three generations of a village nestled in the author’s home state of Arunachal Pradesh. It contains in vivid detail the primitive customs and traditions of the place unfolding itself gradually as she explores the diverse nature of the state through the narratives of her characters. Historical instances of the politics of development in the region have also been perfectly encapsulated through this work of her’s giving us glimpses of the unsung melodious narratives of this ignored region.

3)WHEN BLACKBIRDS FLY BY HANNAH LALHLANPUII

Hannah’s thought-provoking and compelling debut work recounts the turbulent fight for Mizo independence amidst the horrors of armed insurgency. The story revolves around a nameless male protagonist whose life unfolds around the twenty-year-long Mizo independence movement and the conflicts that ensued during this Rambuai period. It narrates the lost innocence of children growing up in conflict zones as the novel locates their perplexed emotions about finding a semblance of home and peace within the chaos of their home state. A compelling must-read!!

4)WARI: A COLLECTION OF MANIPURI SHORT STORIES BY LINTHOI CHANU

Wari which translates to ‘story in Manipuri is an eclectic and diverse collection of short stories which reflects the very essence of the beauty of the state imbibed with their shared culture and tribal belief systems true to the very roots of the native people. The book talks about a sense of longing and belongingness with unforgettable characters adorning the pages each paying homage to the indigenous cultural elements of superstitions and traditional animist practices. Read this completely immersive book to uncover the hidden gem that is Manipur.

5)HOW TO TELL THE STORY OF AN INSURGENCY: FIFTEEN TALES FROM ASSAM BY ARUNI KASHYAP

This book contains fifteen unflinching brave stories of a war being fought in the marginal area of Assam with the central theme focusing on the insurgency in the state. Filled with brutally honest tear-jerking stories of the pain and suppressed trauma of the native people bringing out impassioned calls for humanity in a region so internally torn and devastated. These are not just tales you read and forget, you will feel as if you’ve lived through them as you traverse page after page.

6)AROUND THE HEARTH: KHASI LEGENDS BY KYMPHAM SING NONGKYNRIH

This collection of Khasi legends explores the storytelling traditions of the Khasis throwing light on their traditional customs and practices and the historical significance accorded to them. Sing Nongkynrih succinctly describes how these fables have shaped the various activities of the community even today. These beautifully written stories will through the course of your reading eventually slip into your hearts.

kimbiakmawi dousel

Delhi South '24

kim studies history at jesus and mary college university of delhi.an avid reader and writer ,youll find her either sleeping or writing her heart out in her journal