Wellness > Health

Too Hot to Handle: 7 Tips to Beat the Delhi Heat

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

With temperatures in Delhi soaring above 40 degrees in an unprecedented high, summer is well and truly upon us. Like every year, the mercury level does not disappoint in setting new records for us to gripe about. It is only April yet, with plenty of time to go before the respite of monsoon rains arrives. Prepare yourself for a scorching summer.

The sweltering heat feels as if the sun is sucking all energy out of you with a comically large imaginary straw, like in that one glucose drink advertisement.There’s also a rise in heat induced illnesses with symptoms of nausea, vomiting, heat stroke etc. Too much heat exposure can also lead to skin damage and dehydration. Here are some tips to survive offline college in the rising Delhi heat

1. Cover up

An umbrella- reminiscent of a sultan or dainty regency lady with bridgerton vibes- is always a good idea to protect yourself from the sun’s rays. A cute scarf or hat to match with your outfit will also serve the same purpose. 

Greenhouse1
Breanna Coon / Her Campus

2. Hydrate

Drink lots of fluids to stay cool and hydrated. Spice up your summer with Aam panna, thandai, sherbets, lemonade, coconut water and glucose drinks. And of course plain old water is always a trusty option.

3. Sunscreen is your friend!

Use sunscreen liberally before stepping out of the house, your skin will thank you. It not only prevents pigmentation but also saves you from more serious skin diseases. SPF 50 is the best, and you can opt for medicated sunscreen, or a combo product with other moisturising effects to incorporate in your daily skin care or makeup routine. 

4. Sunshades

Summer is the perfect time to take those trendy sunglasses out for a spin without risk of looking overdressed or ridiculous. Protect those eyes while staying in style.

The Lalaoveralls Iced Coffee Sunglasses
Her Campus Media

5. Dress appropriately for the weather 

Light, skin friendly fabrics like cotton are advisable. Avoid heavy fabrics and opt for absorbent, sweat-wicking materials. Prefer lighter colours over darker ones, like black, that will absorb heat.

Girl In Porcelain Print Skirt In Feild 5
Photo by Anna Thetard / Her Campus

6. Carry Wet wipes and Deodorant

Spare yourself and those around you the discomfort from sweat and inevitable body odour. Carrying an extra t-shirt may also be a good idea if preventive measures aren’t successful. 

7. Take your workouts indoors 

Switch up your workout routine for the summer to avoid outdoor activities with heat exposure. The swimming pool, gym or at-home workouts are a good alternative. If you must, try to restrict outdoor activities to the relatively cooler mornings and evenings.

Beat the heat and stay safe! Don’t sweat it too much- both literally and figuratively. Enjoy the delights of the summer- seasonal delicacies like mango and watermelon- while they last!

The Lalawatermelon Slices On Sticks
Her Campus Media
Sumedha Vashista is a Sociology Honours student at Jesus and Mary College, Delhi University with a specialization in overanalyzing the ordinary. She loves vintage films, flared jeans, slow ballads, cheesy romance novels, and anime.