This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

The Nightingale of India may not sing anymore, but her voice will forever resound in our hearts and souls. I’m sure a lot of us were struck by the news of Lata Mangeshkar’s demise. To lose a childhood icon so quickly was enough to shatter our souls and make us play her gems on repeat. Her voice held our hand through the hardest of times, and still does. 

When I first heard the news of her death, I almost didn’t believe it. The only thing circling in my mind was how her voice had cared for me after my first heartbreak, or how the only song booming through the speakers at parties was ‘Aaj Fir Jeene Ki Tamanna Hai’. Sitting with my mother, watching the news play like a broken record, I am reminded of the time when she used to sing ‘Luka Chuppi’ with tears brimming in her eyes. Such was the marvel of Mangeshkar’s voice. Her honeyed voice could bleed into one’s soul and make them feel alive with emotions galore.

It is a gift to be able to bear witness to her craft and beauty in real-time. Every word that spilled from her mouth was akin to a handful of ambrosia, immortalizing her voice and her legacy. It is no wonder that people considered her a musical goddess, for her songs carried a certain glamour and fondness within them. With that being said, I would like to present forth some of her songs which pulled at the chords of my heart and made me slow-dance in the comfort of my room.

Lag Jaa Gale

This song has stood against the trials of time and has emerged as a testament to the perennial legacy of Lata Mangeshkar. It beautifully captures the feeling of the unavoidable partition of two lovers and how every moment should be cherished as if it’s the last. It is a song that makes the heart ache with love and fear of losing your darling. Featured in the movie ‘Woh Kaun Thi‘, the song is celebrated to be one of Mangeshkar’s best work to date.

The captivating song was designed to express the agony of lovers, but for me, it takes on a much more platonic note. I’m reminded of the friendships which couldn’t last longer than a heartbeat but left me with lingering pain. Friendships robbed of a loving embrace, as the wicked time ran without care. Lata’s soulful voice elicits a feeling of yearning within me and reminds me to treasure the ones I love. It reminds me to hold and to appreciate before the moment slips from my hand. The sweet gentle expression of love in the song never fails to bring me to tears with all the adoration I possess for those near and dear to me.

Luka Chuppi

Written by Prasoon Joshi and sung by Lata Mangeshkar and Rahman, the song from ‘Rang De Basanti‘ moved the country to tears with its touching lyrics and melodies which made you put a hand to your heart. It told a stirring tale about a mother mourning the loss of her son while he reassured her of his well-being in a better place. Lata Mangeshkar recorded this masterpiece at the age of 75 and burned the midnight oil to give birth to a beautiful, heart-rending piece.

I had almost forgotten about the existence of this song until a friend of mine brought it up in a conversation. Two mere words were uttered, and my brain instantly overflowed with long-forgotten memories. The images of my mother singing it to me late at night, when I could see distress and love in her eyes. It brings back memories of when I would hug her and try to soothe her tense, motherly heart. It is the song I listened to early in the morning with my parents, the chirping of the birds magnifying its innocence.

Luka Chuppi isn’t bound by the mercies of time. It is an ageless rendition presenting the wholesome relationship between a mother and her son. Her cry will forever echo in the desolate streets of India, where a son is yet to be reunited with his parents.

Ajib Dastan Hai Yeh

I distinctly remember the first time I heard this song by Mangeshkar. It was a mundane summer day at my grandparents’. One of my aunts turned on the song and even though my 8-year-old self couldn’t understand the essence of the song, I could hear the beauty in Lata’s melodies. Her mellifluous voice had managed to capture my attention. The song felt euphoric to the young me, with its positive upbeats and the tranquil tune.

However, listening to it as I’ve gotten older has undeniably given me a new perspective, one of heartbreak and hurt masked in contentment. The outlook has been altered, yet I still carry that childhood innocence with me every time I listen to the song. With her song, Lata has somehow mastered the art of imbuing my soul with both the pain of dejection and the joy of reminiscing about the old memories.

It would be virtuous to say that Lata Mangeshkar’s works have acted as a soundtrack to many of our lives. Whether it be listening to ‘Tere Bina Zindagi Se’ to weep over former love, or questioning our existence while losing ourselves in the melodies of ‘Aye Dil-E-Nadan’. Lata’s versatility has managed to produce a plethora of songs that will be carried ahead by this generation. A humble, talented and gracious woman, Mangeshkar managed to shudder the Indian music industry with her timeless and precious voice. Her legacy will forever be remembered, even while she rests in her heavenly dwelling.

Sifat Keer

Delhi South '24

A literature geek whose only solace in life is dogs and listening to Taylor Swift's songs at 3 in the morning. Currently pursuing Political Science Honours from Lady Shri Ram College for Women.