“The Queen’s Gambit” might just be the best show of 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

This show is an entryway to a world you would have never expected to be in. The Queen’s Gambit, a limited mini-series by Netflix starring Anya Taylor-Joy and Thomas Brodie-Sangster was released in October of 2020. Right of the bat let me tell you that this is a review by someone who has barely any knowledge of the game of chess. Sure, I could play a move or two but I never knew what Knight to Rook 4 or the reverse Sicilian defense meant but now after watching this show, I can throw some chess terms at you without flinching (I still don’t know what they mean but at least I know they are related to chess).

You don’t have to be a chess fan or even have any knowledge about the game to enjoy this show. We follow Anya Taylor-Joy who plays the role of Beth Harmon, an orphan who at a young age realizes that she might just call herself a genius in chess with the way she grew into this sport. From learning how to play chess with the janitor in a basement to playing the US Open or the World championship, we get to follow and walk side by side with Beth to see her journey till the end. Who would’ve thought that the world of chess can be this dramatic and competitive. We know that Beth is a genius at this game with the way she is climbing the ladder and making a name for herself but what is unique about this show is that she isn’t the only genius in this competitive world. There are a lot of masters of the games blocking her path, so she has to learn and grow, even if it hurts her ego, to be the best out there.

In this world of competitive chess, it is a known fact that in the 1950s and 60s, it was a world for men. Beth Harmon has to make her way around this world where men don’t view her as serious competition. This does give her the initial advantage of throwing people down but later on, she takes up any opportunity to show off her skills that are questioned because of her gender. It’s not only a world of misogyny but also of addiction. In the 50s, orphanages used to give kids vitamins and drugs called tranquilizers, and this was the start of Beth’s drug addiction. She becomes addicted to them to a point where we the audience also doubt whether it’s the drugs playing or is it Beth’s natural talent. The drinking and the drugs start deteriorating Beth’s life and her relationship with people, and it’s interesting to see her make her way through all of this and grow into her role.

Another fun thing about the show is that there are no flat characters. Every character grows in this show just like Beth. Their relationship with Beth and the game of chess changes and often it’s because Beth had some sort of impact on them. Characters like Harry Beltik, who you see in the second episode and expect that to be the end of it but when comes back later along Beth’s journey. It is so unusual to see growth in a side character who we thought was just another pawn in Beth’s world. Thomas Brodie’s character Benny Watts is a fan favorite. He is the best player in the USA when Beth is starting in her games. The dynamic between Beth and Benny is mind-blowing, two chess geniuses who think alike in the game but that just makes it much harder in their matches as they both are trying to one-up the other.

This show grabs your attention and forces you to not let go of it because it’s so fast-paced and aesthetic, you just don’t want to stop. The series only has 7 episodes but every episode has something to say and avoids having filler scenes so it keeps your interest going throughout. I would suggest that everyone take a day out to binge-watch this show because it’s probably one of the best series released in 2020. It has drama, romance, and a little bit of suspense on the side.

This show gives you a backstage pass to the world of competitive chess, it makes the games look inviting, so you want to stay and watch two master brains work. It’s fascinating and it is something new. This concept hasn’t been touched upon making it a refreshing watch. So, hop onto your Netflix (or borrowed Netflix, we don’t judge here) and give this a go because it totally deserves the hype!

Samantha Roy

Delhi South '21

Samantha is currently doing her final year of B.A English honours from Jesus and Mary college. Most of her time is spent watching underrated shows on Netflix and rereading books to relish the sense of nostalgia and comfort.