Wellness

Keeping the Heat Down: Self Care for Summers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

Delhi’s summers really give you the full experience of what it is like to live on the sun. Every morning, we get to put our makeup on just to have it melt off our faces in the next hour. I know, it sucks but don’t you worry- we have some self-care tips for this summer that can help make this heat a little more bearable. We cannot control the weather but maybe we can nourish our souls just a little more this summer.

Early Morning Jogs

Moving your body is important- be it December’s chilly winds or the middle of June. And yes, while the heat is already making us sweat a lot, it is important to remember that working out is crucial for our health. And no, you should not be running in the park with the sun breathing down hot winds on your face. Now is the time to get up early, shift your workout to when the weather is nice and cool and burn those calories!

Hydration

This should not even be in the list since this is the most obvious way to survive Delhi summers. But the special part here is that you must try out new hydrating beverages and if possible, try making them at home. While water is literally the lifesaver, you can give your summers a tasty twist by trying out, say, a watermelon cooler or a strawberry lemonade. 

Summer Cleaning and Redecor

It is time to get your hands dirty and get into some serious summer cleaning. Lock away the cosy blankets and room heaters for it is time to dust off the fans and bring out the inflatable pool. And while you are at it, some redecoration according to the season doesn’t hurt. Yes, I am talking about buying some beachy floral arrangements, summer scented potpourri and candles and having a refreshing and soothing color palette for the rooms.

Caring for Others

It has been observed that doing charity is actually good for your health. Volunteering for a social cause helps lower blood pressure and stress levels. Every summer, we hear the news of many less fortunate people suffering in Delhi’s heat. With a little time and effort, you really can make a difference. You can do a lot: from simply carrying extra water bottles when you go out to working with NGOs. Do your part for the world and you will definitely feel a lot better.

Skincare

Taking care of your skin is no joke, especially when the sun is relentlessly beating down upon you. Remember to adjust your skincare routine according to this season. You can try and do your own research and find out what type of products suit you or you can visit a dermatologist. Wear light clothes and allow your skin some space to breathe. Wash your face regularly and keep your skin hydrated. Sunscreen is extremely important in summers.

Take advantage of the sun

The long nights are over and the sun is finally here. Yes, it can be relentless but the sunshine has the potential to give us many productive and happy hours. Say a warm goodbye to your seasonal lethargy and start moving your body. Go out with your friends on weekend brunches, plan a picnic and explore the city (do check the forecast for heatwaves beforehand, of course).

Love your summer body

All bodies are summer bodies! Do not let the media give you a false idea of what is and what is not the ideal summer body. You are bikini-ready and do not let anyone tell you otherwise. You do not need to have the right curves in the right places to celebrate your best summer. Wear crop tops and shorts if you want to and do not let conventions dictate how you see yourself. 

Let this summer be a summer of love. Of self-love! Delhi’s summer can get too hot and your spirit can melt away. But through these tips, you can have a pretty good season. This is your time to celebrate a hot-girl summer. And remember, hot girls take care of their skin and their mental and physical health while also posting Pinterest-perfect stories on Instagram.

Yashica

Delhi South '22

Yashica (she/her) is an undergraduate based in Delhi, India. A student of Lady Shri Ram College for Women, she is currently pursuing a Bachelor of Arts degree in English Literature. Her poetry has been published by Sapphic Writers, The Red Megaphone, AsianZine, and The Write Order. She is also the coordinator of the creative writing society of her college. While she briefly worked as a content writer, she usually finds herself writing about the grotesque realities of the human psyche and society. Her work ranges from horror fiction to confessional poetry. She also writes about Dalit issues and her experiences as a member of the queer community.