This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

Colors, art, and magic all converge together like a kaleidoscope through those combinations of notes, strings, and harmonies, we call music. It connects and divides generations, tells stories of love, passion, victory, and destruction. It speaks to us with the gentle familiarity of an old friend from school and calms like a gentle breeze on a lazy afternoon. Music is electrifying and exciting, heart wrenching and painful, often all at once. A soundtrack to our lives and definitely one of those little things that make existing better, music is always changing.

Indian radio is often dominated by mainstream pop, mostly mass-produced almost mechanically by the film industries. Although there isn’t anything wrong with their music or those who like that genre, expanding our horizons from major record labels to creators producing music off the beaten path can be a refreshing new beat to groove to. 

Indie music as a counterculture genre gained popularity in the United Kingdom and the United States in the ’80s with the growing traction of grunge and punk revivalism.  By the 90s indie music was divided into many sub-genres and achieved almost mainstream levels of success by the early 2000s. In India with the dawn of the new millennium around the 90s, independent music found its own niche in the cutthroat industry with the likes of Lucky Ali, Bombay Vikings, and Alisha China dominating the scene. 

This style of music has grown exponentially since in the subcontinent with various artists emerging and coloring the music world with their own unique and refreshing beats. Arguably one of the most popular Indie music artists is Prateek Kuhad. The Indian singer-songwriter who rose to prominence with his 2015 Album, In Tokens and Charms, blew up and he played a huge role in bringing the beauty of independent music to a much wider audience. His style of soft guitar notes and heart touching indie-folk made a whole generation of young people sway.

India though is known for its diversity and its melting pot of culture and language, therefore it isn’t very surprising that Indian indie music too, reflects that in its variety of musical styles. If Kuhad’s crooning is too slow for you, Local Train has got your back with their soulful and raw rock music and beautifully penned lyrics in Urdu and Hindi. Their music hits better than a double shot of espresso on Monday morning. Although, if tea is more your thing, When Chai Met Toast, a Kochi based band will more than suffice. With their often multilingual lyrics and peppy beats, your serotonin is guaranteed to shoot up because all their songs seem to have an infectiously happy quality to them. They truly capture the essence of a youthful Indian summer. 

Afternoons can be supplemented with The F-16s, who have a style reminiscent of LCD Soundsystem and The Horrors. They are a group from Chennai penning feet thumping alternative beats infused with the comings and goings of every day. Pineapple Express is a high-intensity fusion band hailing from the south and producing bangers after bangers with beautiful live performances. Their song “Colour” is probably one of my all-time favorites and can always cheer you up amid lockdown blues.  

Talking about blues, Indian jazz can hardly be left behind with Peter Cat Recording Co. in the strumming business. A Delhi based ensemble perfect for evenings to watch the sun melt into the sky in as flawless a symphony as their music. Let them tell you a portrait of the times with a cold one in the fading light. Suryakant Sawhney, a member of PCRC, has also ventured into electronic music with his solo project Lifafa, a lovely contrast to the Jazz and a whole different story in itself. Any praise for this project would fall too short.

You can find company in Indian indie for late nights, whether as a respite for sleeplessness, a lullaby for deep slumber, or as a companion through midnights of studying. Anuv Jain, a singer, and songwriter from Ludhiana is definitely one you can rely on. With his guitar and beautiful voice, he is working magic on the indie scene. His songs like “Baarishen” and “Riha” resonate at such a deep and personal level. Emotional and beautiful to the very core, his latest single “Alag Asamaan” hits hard especially during this time of cold isolation. Similar in this magical warmth are artists like Taba Chake, Kevin Fernando, and Raaghav Meattle. Soft and comforting, their music is much like a warm blanket during a cold Delhi winter. Perfect to fall asleep to.

Your day might end but you certainly won’t be able to get through all the new Indian musical artistry. Although relatively new, Indian indie does have its own wonderful charm. Diverse in its language and inspiration, it hums with raw talent. With its fusion of classical Indian music and western verve, Indian independent music is definitely on the right path. It is a gradual revolution of art, made so much more personal than the mainstream, probably because it does not have any obligations to corporations or mass productions. It provides a refreshing break from the mundane and repetitive, along with a promise of a new perspective. So, why not tune in someday and witness it for yourself?

Avnika Sinha

Delhi South '22

A History Major and a member of Kahkasha, the Dramatics Society Of Jesus and Mary College Wannabe rebel with way too many causes to yell about