This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

Most college and university students live a life where they are expected to deliver more than what they can do. Amidst the race to meet constant and never ceasing deadlines, the reader inside of us struggles to maintain its identity. However, there are some ways through which the reader inside of you can be kept satisfied. Following are some ways in which you can manage to read even with a busy schedule:

1. Choosing books that you’ll enjoy reading:

While it may be tempting to keep a goal to read all the classics or all the ‘best’ books in the world, all of them may not cater to your interests. The burden of your busy schedule in addition to your lack of interest in a book can act as major obstacles in your reading journey. Prioritizing books that suit your interests, serves your purpose and those you actually enjoy reading would make you come back to it even when there is a scarcity of time. 

2. Have a reading goal per session:

It may sound cliched but this step can actually be very helpful! Setting a goal regarding the minimum number of pages or chapters you have to read gives you a direction to progress in. The goals should be achievable in the beginning so that you are not intimidated by the idea of reaching that goal. It can be as small as one paragraph or as big as you want it to be but the aim is that it should push you to pick up a book and START reading. Once you reach that goal, it’s upon your instinct and time whether you want to read more or keep the rest for the next session. 

3. Try reading books in multiple formats:

Being a paperback lover, I understand the hype! The smell of the book, the touch of the pages and the feeling of flipping through real pages as you read a book is unmatchable. However, our schedules and commitments may not always permit us to read a physical book. This is where e-books come handy! There are multiple free access apps that can be installed on any mobile device. Many of these apps offer a varied range of choices to the readers. You can use these apps on your phones to quickly catch up on your favourite read in pockets of your free time.

4. Join a reading community:

Being a part of a group which shares the same interests as you invokes in you a sense of being understood and of solidarity. These groups can often push you to do stuff so that you can be part of the conversations and dialogues that take place there. Having fortnightly discussion circles about a book all members collectively chose to read is a great motivator to make time for reading. In addition to that, you might end up making a good friend!

Even though the process of reading is close to many of us, we may not find enough time or energy to read for leisure. These tips help you to find that time and energy in between your busy schedules and makes you reconnect with the reader inside of you.

Annapurna Behera

Delhi South '23

That woman who brings caste and gender into every conversation. Also, a student of Sociology at Jesus and Mary College.