Hero Images with HC Branding 4?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Hero Images with HC Branding 4?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Walmart
Life > Experiences

Four Things My Dog Is Better at Than Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

It is often said that people do not achieve something overnight. That there is no single significant day in one’s journey towards something. But on my fourteenth birthday when a little puppy entered my life, I was surely a new person. I became more responsible, happy, and connected with my parents. Yes, this space was not reached overnight, but the urge to imbibe these traits definitely came over me. It is true that a pet can change your life. It is generally believed that human beings are a superior species. And, certain non-human animals, have received the grace of human social acceptance. Dogs have historically been a preferred human companion. Some scientists argue that the ‘puppy face’ which is the pinnacle of a dog’s cuteness, is an evolutionary giving. The dog species’ biggest weapon of such a domineering survival is their cuteness. True or not, such dichotomies ignore the similarity of traits displayed by dogs and humans. Not just cuteness or love for junk food, but behavior and attitudes conventionally associated with human beings. While my dog and I might be on the same level of cuteness, there are some very ‘humanly’ attitudes and behaviors that my dog is better at than me.

Before anything, we stretch

The dog is a serial sleeper. And also a serial stretcher. It’s no surprise that a popular yoga pose is called the downward dog. The pose is a magical reliever for sleep soreness. And despite knowing this, I don’t really do it on a daily basis. Instead, I choose to sulk and live with the soreness. Habits are better than knowledge and my dog knows this.  

Prioritize your priorities

Chulbul is amiable with everyone but does not play excitedly with everyone. No matter how much the other party is interested in playing with him, he will only jump when he wants to for whom he wants to. He’s not governed by overthinking and the need to being likeable. Neither would he plunge himself into uncomfortable interactions. He’s governed by his mood. For his loved ones, his mood is always on. Often, I tend to be the kindest to strangers and most ignorant and impatient with my inner circle. The inner-circle for both of us is the family.

Being present

The dog does not exist in duality. He is what he is, where he is when he is. 

Moving on

Chulbul makes a biting face when he’s disturbed or barks when I don’t take him for a walk on time. He also gets petrified when he’s scolded or annoyed when I don’t let him sniff another dog’s butt. No matter what the outcome is, he would still wag his tail or allow himself to be patted. It’s amazing how quickly dogs forgive and get going.

The dog has life figured out better than me. Commenting on the ideal form of educating children, French enlightenment scholar Jean Jacques Rosseau suggested that emotions should be developed before reason. The reason is influenced by the vices of civilization. But a grounding of pure solid emotions reasons one through life and makes one an autonomous being. Hopefully, some of this emotion will rub off on me.

Ananya Rai

Delhi South '23

Ananya is a 2nd year, history honours student from Jesus and Mary College who laughs at the most random things and get's inspired by everything.