Easy Microwave Recipes to Save Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

There are two types of people who will be coming out of this quarantine season. Some have made themselves future competitors for the MasterChef series and then some spent evenings just tapping through the Instagram stories of their friends posting about their delicious creations. For my friends, who have drooled after those blissful looking cakes and cookies, I’m going to be your fairy godmother and give you some under 5-minute recipes that you can make pretty easily with the help of your microwave. Keep in mind that these saved my hungry self at 4 am when my insomnia or college assignments didn’t let me sleep. What I want to say is that though they may not taste exactly the same as a cake that takes an hour to bake, these quick recipes have their own charm. So, grab an apron and whisk and let’s get cooking!

1)     Cake in a Mug

Probably the easiest recipe that will be on this list, this cake in a mug has been my midnight snack since the day I realized actual baking was not my cup of tea.

Ingredients

•   4 tablespoons all-purpose flour

•   3 tablespoons sugar

•   2 tablespoons cocoa powder

•   3 tablespoons milk

•   1 tablespoon vegetable oil

•   Vanilla extract/Chocolate pieces(optional)

•    Pinch of salt

•    ½ tablespoon baking powder

Recipe

1.      Grab a microwave-safe ceramic mug. Add the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Blend well with a fork.

2.      Pour the milk, vegetable oil, and vanilla if using and blend until smooth. Stir in the chocolate chips/pieces now.

3.      Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Let it cool down for another minute or two and add chocolate syrup on top if you need more sugar rush.

4.      Enjoy!

2) Cinnamon Roll in a Mug

Another fun recipe you can make for two people using a mug and easily available ingredients.

Ingredients:

Dough

•   1 large egg

•    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

•    1 tablespoon granulated sugar

•    2 tablespoons whole milk

•   1 ½ cups pancake mix (180 g)

•   all-purpose flour, for dusting

•   non-stick cooking spray/butter, for greasing

•   2 teaspoons water

Filing

•   1 tablespoon unsalted butter

•   2 tablespoons brown sugar

•   ½ teaspoon cinnamon

Icing

•   6 tablespoons powdered sugar

•   1 tablespoon whole milk

Recipe

1. To make the dough, in a bowl whisk the egg, vanilla, sugar, and milk until the sugar has dissolved completely. Add the pancake mix and stir it in with a          spatula. Take the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and kneed till it’s smooth. Then roll out the dough into a long rectangle (8x6inch).

2. For the filling, in another bowl combine the melted butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Spread this filling over the dough from the long edge and then tightly roll the dough into a log. Cut in half crosswise.

3. Grease 2 ceramic mugs with cooking spray/butter. Put 1 cinnamon roll in each with the cut side facing up. Pour one teaspoon of water into each mug.

4. One at a time put the mug in the microwave on high for 1 minute and 45 seconds. Let it cool for another minute.

5. For the icing, in a bowl whisk together the sugar and milk until it’s a good syrup consistency. Drizzle on top of the cinnamon rolls once out of the microwave.

6. Enjoy!

3) Chocolate Chip Cookie

A gooey from the inside and nice crunch on the outside chocolate chip cookie coming right up. The given ingredients are in measure for one serving!

Ingredients

•   2 tablespoons butter

•   1 tablespoon brown sugar

•   1 tablespoon sugar

•    ¼ teaspoon baking powder

•    ⅛ teaspoon salt

•    ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract

•   3 tablespoons flour

•   2 tablespoons chocolate chips

Recipe

1.      Add 2 tbsp butter, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp sugar, ¼ tsp baking powder, ⅛ tsp salt, and ¼ tsp vanilla in a bowl and mix

2.      Next, add 3 tbsp flour and 2 tbsp chocolate chips and mix thoroughly. Transfer the mix to a microwave-friendly bowl and heat for 60 seconds.

3.      Enjoy!

4) Pizza in a Mug

A complete lunch filler meal for one that I have made countless times when I was home alone.

Ingredients

•   4 tbsp all-purpose flour

•   1/8 tbsp baking powder

•   1/8 tbsp baking soda

•   1/8 tbsp salt

•   3 tbsp milk

•   1 tbsp olive oil

•   1 tbsp marinara sauce

•   1 tbsp shredded mozzarella cheese

•   5 baby pepperonis(optional)

•   1 tbsp dried herbs like oregano or chilli flakes

Recipe

1.      In your microwavable cup, mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt with a fork.

2.      Add the milk and olive oil to the cup. Mix well, there may be lumps but that is totally fine.

3.      Spread the marinara sauce over the batter. Sprinkle cheese and herbs on top. Add pepperonis, if needed.

4.      Microwave for 1min 30sec until you see the toppings rise and bubble a bit. Take the mug out carefully, and sprinkle a few chili flakes.

5.      Enjoy!

5) Macaroni and Cheese

Another recipe that you can make on those cold winter nights when you want to whip up a warm heart-melting meal.

Ingredients

•   1/3rd cup macaroni

•   3/4 cup water

•   4 tbsp milk

•   ½ teaspoon corn starch

•   4 tbsp cheddar cheese, shredded

•   Salt and pepper

Recipe:

1. In a large microwavable mug/bowl add the macaroni and water. Microwave for 3min 30 seconds to have the macaroni fully cooked. Pour the remaining water out.

2. Add the milk, corn starch, cheese into the bowl for the sauce. Mix it all in and microwave for another 60 seconds.

3. Serve with salt and pepper.

4. Enjoy!

6) Jelly Donut

Finishing off this recipe list with everyone’s favorite: Donuts. If you don’t like donuts, we need to talk. Everyone else, let’s get this sweet bread!

Ingredients

•   4 tbsp all-purpose flour

•   2 tbsp butter

•   1 egg yolk/banana or apple sauce

•   1 tbsp milk

•   ½ teaspoon baking powder

•   ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon

•   1 tbsp strawberry jam

•   Cinnamon sugar

Recipe

1.      Spread melted butter around the mug so that nothing sticks to it. Add all the ingredients but the jam and cinnamon sugar into the bowl and mix it well.

2.      Once mixed well, add the jam into the batter to have a jammy center.

3.      Microwave for 45 seconds or until the top is firm. Keep an eye on it always to keep track if it accidentally overflows.

4.      Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar once out of the microwave.

5.      Enjoy!

That’s all I have for you today. I hope you use some of these recipes and get to experience how it feels to be on the other side of the food Instagram stories you tap by fast to not get hungry. These microwave hacks have saved me from feeling left out of the food loop and I can only hope that you feel really good as well when you plunge that spoon down your mug cake and enjoy the rich gooey center!

Samantha Roy

Delhi South '21

Samantha is currently doing her final year of B.A English honours from Jesus and Mary college. Most of her time is spent watching underrated shows on Netflix and rereading books to relish the sense of nostalgia and comfort.