This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi South chapter.

the effects of covid-19

It has been more than two years since COVID-19 first started, resulting in the imposition of quarantine restrictions across the world. As the world seemingly came to a halt with almost everything being shut down, the pandemic robbed us of a sense of normalcy in our daily lives. Although most social distancing regulations have since been lifted and we are now nearing the end of 2022, I often find myself questioning if we really are back to “normal”. And if we ever will be. While I understand that COVID-19 and the resulting quarantine proved to be a period of personal growth for some, this article is for those who were deeply affected by it, and not necessarily in a positive manner.

The time we spent social distancing has impacted us in more ways than we think. When the pandemic first hit us, everyone thought life paused, but that’s far from the truth. In fact, I like to believe that life as we know it, just got more real. We felt loss, pain, and grief which was profoundly personal to each, yet collective to all in many ways. We were not just dealing with the health issues caused by a global pandemic, but were also grappling with questions about life and death, politics, socio-economic problems and distresses, instances of discrimination and violence around the world, and so much more. People were largely exposed to social media and were constantly consuming content online, especially Gen Z, and I believe that there is a certain cost to pay for observing the world and watching life pass you by on your mobile screens – it’s a feeling of complete isolation and loneliness which can prove to be very harmful.

COVID-19 has had a huge psychosocial impact across the globe. But this impact has particularly been observed amongst the Gen Z. Research suggests that our generation has been more vulnerable to the effects of the pandemic and has indicated a higher rate of mental health issues like depression and anxiety. People belonging to this generation have reported feeling anxious, stressed, and lonely most of the time. They have struggled with their physical and mental wellbeing, relationships, education, and job opportunities due to the pandemic. Feeling isolated and lonely and having no real or personal contact with the world has led to strained relationships, heightened insecurities, low confidence, loss of faith, hope, motivation, and optimism, and a constant state of uncertainty about the future and life in general. Teenagers and young adults have also lost some of their prime years of growth and development to the pandemic. The pandemic not only caused them to be socially distant but also led some to become more emotionally distant.

Research suggests that the pandemic isn’t entirely “over” yet. However, the limitations that were first imposed are majorly relieved and the organisations that were initially shut down have now been working in full effect. With the opening up of schools, colleges and workplaces, we have been forced back into our pre-covid worlds. Except it isn’t pre-covid anymore. The acute effects that the pandemic has had on us is something we carry with us as we continue with our personal, social and professional lives. Although it has been months since a shift took place in our daily functioning from the online mode to the offline one, I think it is safe to say that some of us our still struggling to adjust to this shift. It is also important to note that this change isn’t just within us, it is in the world around too – the people as well as the environment we interact with – the pandemic has changed everyone in some way or the other and it has also brought significant changes in our social and professional environments. Whether it is the struggle to maintain relationships, form new ones, deal with increased work pressure and the blurred boundaries between work and personal lives as a hybrid of online and offline mode continues to exist, there seems to be no semblance of life before covid hit us.

As of last month, a UN news report quoting the head of the World Health Organisation suggested that the “end of the COVID-19 pandemic is in sight.” This doesn’t; however, promise that we will go back to life as we knew it. The effects caused by the pandemic are too profound, widespread and long-lasting to be ignored. The world just seems a lot different now and I doubt we will ever attain the “normalcy” we so desperately sought back in 2020.

Dippanshi Kapoor

Delhi South '24

A twenty year old English major, Dippanshi would rather observe the world than be a part of it. For someone who loves reading, writing, and watching movies, she is afraid she never does enough of any of these things.