Yanagihara’s ‘A Little Life’: An Unconventional Saga Of Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Trigger Warnings: Abuse and Violent Accidents

The idea of a happy ending frequently holds prominence in the intricate tapestry of storytelling, yet the most significant stories dare to subvert this expectation. Endings that seem immersed in misery frequently hold the most profound insights about life, society, and the harsh reality of the protagonist’s existence for protagonists sailing the turbulent currents of fate. Furthermore, friends frequently act as rays of hope at the darkest moments of life’s turbulent journey, offering consolation, encouragement, and steadfast friendship. The value of friendship is more poignant during tragic times because these relationships provide support and fortitude in the face of hardship.

A Little Life, written by Hanya Yanagihara, delves deeply into the human psyche, revealing the raw edges of pain, resilience, and the unbreakable tenacity of the human spirit. It is an emotionally charged and densely knit work. The readers follow four friends as they struggle with the intricacies of their pasts and present. Hanya Yanagihara skillfully constructs a story that is both beautiful and eerie. It is heartbreaking and thought-provoking to examine ingrained trauma and its devastating effects on Jude St. Francis, the main character. Yanagihara depicts a man whose soul is deeply scarred by his past, and yet he aspires to build connection and understanding through vivid and evocative writing. Yanagihara doesn’t back down from the horrors that life may often bring. A Little Life tackles difficult issues like abuse, which makes it undoubtedly difficult, but its storytelling is unquestionably strong. Yanagihara’s examination of the human condition—with all of its imperfections and frailties—is evidence of her talent as a writer. This book invites readers to consider the human spirit’s ability to persevere in the face of unfathomable hardship. It is more than just a narrative.

The story’s themes of friendship and resilience are intertwined throughout, making it a moving and impactful read that stays with you long after the final page is turned. The connections that Jude and the other characters build become the central theme of the book since Jude is one of the characters with the most depth and authenticity. One of the book’s notable achievements is its portrayal of the complexity inherent in deep and enduring friendships. Yanagihara’s narrative deftly navigates the intricacies of relationships, showcasing the resilience of bonds that withstand the test of time and adversity. The book challenges traditional notions of friendship, portraying it not as a utopian ideal but as a dynamic force that evolves, fractures, and rebuilds in response to life’s relentless challenges.

The most moving parts of A Little Life are not its gory descriptions of brutality but rather its subdued, inspiring images of humanity. Although Jude’s past experiences with several violent men expose the depth of human cruelty, her delicate and poignant interactions with Willem, Harold, Andy, and others demonstrate humanity’s inherent generosity. These nuanced people are all fallible, and it is in their flaws that their humanity is revealed.

A Little Life, however, is not a book meant for all types of readers, since it is filled with tragedy and gloom. Jude doesn’t get any relief from his suffering in the end. I appreciate Yanagihara’s commitment to highlighting the negative aspects of reality. Even though we may all work hard to do better, forgiveness might not always be granted. Sometimes all we can do is show kindness wherever we can.

Some of the quotes from the book which have left an indelible mark on me are:

1. “Wasn’t friendship its own miracle, the finding of another person who made the entire lonely world seem somehow less lonely?”

2. “You won’t understand what I mean now, but someday you will: the only trick of friendship, I think, is to find people who are better than you are—not smarter, not cooler, but kinder, and more generous, and more forgiving—and then to appreciate them for what they can teach you, and to try to listen to them when they tell you something about yourself, no matter how bad—or good—it might be, and to trust them, which is the hardest thing of all. But the best, as well.”

3. “…things get broken, and sometimes they get repaired, and in most cases, you realize that no matter what gets damaged, life rearranges itself to compensate for your loss, sometimes wonderfully.”

4. “And so I try to be kind to everything I see, and in everything I see, I see him.”

A Little Life is a tribute to the complex and multifaceted characteristics of friendship. As Hanya Yanagihara explores the depths of human connection and highlights the fragility and resiliency of genuine friendship, her storytelling skill is evident. Readers are prompted to consider the enduring links that define the human experience by reflecting on their relationships through the eyes of these four friends. In the book, friendship is more than simply a theme; it’s the very thread that binds the characters and elevates the novel to a profound exploration of the human spirit. It is a symphony of love and desire, sadness and pain, and is not for the faint of heart. But even amid the worst of circumstances, there is a deep feeling of catharsis and hope found in its pages. Yanagihara’s masterwork is proof of the potency of narrative and a poignant reminder that even in the depths of despair, there is hope for healing, love, and redemption.

Arshia Mehta

Delhi North '27

Born into a generation characterized by tumultuous times and instability, Arshia possesses a profound zeal for global politics and international affairs. Since 2019, she has actively participated in more than 90 Model United Nations (MUN) conferences, showcasing her fervor for diplomacy and negotiation. Arshia stands as a dedicated orator, earning accolades not only from MUNs but also from debates, extempores, and various other competitions on both national and international stages. Her commitment to social responsibility is exemplified by her collaboration with numerous humanitarian organizations, including Goong NGO, The Menaka Gandhi Organisation for Animal Welfare, Humans for Humankind, and Sexceed India. She firmly believes in the pivotal role of nurturing young minds to contribute to a better world that upholds our shared values and principles.