Style > Beauty

TRANSITIONING FROM WINTER TO SUMMER: MY FAVORITE SKIN & HAIR CARE TIPS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

From chilling glass panes to piping hot windows, from cold dry weathers to gusts full of heat – if seasons change so drastically, our skin and hair demands can’t continue to be the same. Can they?

With changing temperatures and moisture levels, our skin & hair care requirements also change which makes it crucial to caress our body as per changing needs. All the beauty products we’ve used during winter might not be the best-suited options to continue with for the coming summer season. It’s important to understand our own skin and hair type and try to find out what’s best for us.

So here are some of my tried and tested tips on embracing your skin and hair while transitioning from winter to summer! 

REPLACING FACE WASH AND BODY CREAMS WITH MORE FRUIT-BASED ONES

Winter requires constant nourishment and moisturization of the skin. Such dry weather conditions pave the way for skin-care products with a heavier and more condensed base. However, back in time, when I didn’t realize how summer calls for a different range of skincare products altogether, continuing to use the same ones as those of winter became icky. It made my skin oily and itchy, mostly resulting in acne.

During summer, our skin needs lighter and preferably more fruit-based products to avoid excessive oil from accumulating over the skin. Krishma Gala Rajput, a leading hair and skincare expert based out of Pune, talks about the importance of switching to lighter textures from creamy ones when it comes to skincare in summers. If the right face wash and body creams are chosen, maintaining the skin pH balance is no hard task. Summers don’t freak me out anymore because shifting to fruity creams and face wash revitalizes my skin and allows me to welcome the new season with a fresher look!

Changing Hair Oils with Changing Seasons

Just like the skin, hair care tips differ from season to season. Here’s presenting what I would like to term as “a bag of sweet little tips from my grandma.” This bag is full of lovely hair oiling tips that are inclusive of special ingredients, making it highly beneficial. As an ardent user of these tips, I hold them close to my heart. One of my favorites has been using coconut oil in summer and replacing it with mustard oil in winter. Experts like Dr. Sarita Sanke and Dr. Geetika Goel have validated the same. They claim that using this helps prevent dandruff and gives a lustrous look to hair. One of my grandma’s personal favorites has been to add crushed onion seeds and fenugreek seeds to hair oil, leaving it for 4-5 weeks and finally sieving it to use. Moreover, in busy schedules like ours, when applying hair oil seems tedious, the fact that applying them overnight does wonders should definitely be good news!

Natural DIY Face & Hair Masks to Combat Heat

Combating heat in summer becomes much easier if the right skin & hair care product is used. It’s always best to go for those which can make us feel cool, comfortable, and hydrated! And for me, nothing has proven better than natural DIY face and hair masks. The most magical ingredient that I abide by is Aloe Vera.

Prominent dermatologists like Dr. Adrienne Haughton of Stony Brook Medicine, have also validated this special ingredient. Moreover, the Iranian Journal of Medical Sciences found a link between aloe vera and the healing of wounds and sunburns. In fact, there have been a plethora of more reviews and studies that would definitely convince you to consider Aloe Vera as the best-suited partner for your next summers. The recipe for my summer’s favorite aloe vera face mask involves adding a few drops of rose water and one tablespoon of honey to the gel and mixing it thoroughly. The paste is then applied on the face and later, rinsed off after twenty minutes to experience the most refreshing and rejuvenating feeling you can think of!

Recently, beauty expert Shehnaz Hussain talked about multani mitti and its benefits for longer and stronger hair, and it has certainly worked like that for me. It is an ingredient I would never forget stocking up before summers. Another hair mask I use, specifically for this time of the year as seasons change, deals with combating the fluctuating moisture levels that might otherwise make hair brittle and weak. You must have heard your parents or grandparents talk about Multani Mitti. Yes, it is another magical ingredient. Some of us might be aware of its benefits for the skin, but were you aware that it’s great for the hair as well? Multani Mitti or Fuller’s earth can be soaked in water to make it into a paste and can be applied to the hair from roots to ends to boost hydration and moisturize hair!

Yes, it is very crucial to understand that caressing our skin and hair should only be done by keeping in mind the seasonal and climatic conditions. And all these tips that I’ve shared here are some of those which I hold very close to my heart. However, as skin and hair types differ, so do the ingredients one must use. What works for me might not work for every other individual. Therefore, it becomes important for each one of us to understand our body and look for what’s best for it! This changing season, do not neglect your skin and hair! It is time for you to explore cosmetics and products that could let you embrace yourself. So why not make your own list of all-time-favorite skin and hair care tips then?

Arushi Sethi

Delhi North '24

Arushi Sethi is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus at Delhi North. She is a part of the Content Writing team, writing and exploring a plethora of genres in her writings for the website including lifestyle, entertainment, fashion, wellness and culture. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year English Literature student at Hansraj College, University of Delhi. She is currently serving as the Content Editor for Willow – the journal of The English Society of Hansraj College, and has previously served as the Editor-in-Chief for Credence Foundation, a non-profit organization. Furthermore, she is a member of the Editorial Wing of Kavyanjali – the Poetry Society of Hansraj College, and Ostraca – the Creative Writing Society. She has also written for Hans, the college magazine of Hansraj College. And with a vast experience of participating and chairing in several Model United Nations Conferences, both as a Journalist and Executive Board, she also holds a keen interest and grip over journalistic writings. Being a poet, content writer, blogger & editor, she is constantly exploring newer ways to fulfil her passion for words. For her, there is bliss in reading, writing, listening to music, singing and playing the piano.