TOP 5 DELICIOUS ASSAMESE CUISINE RECOMMENDATIONS FOR ALL FOOD LOVERS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Chef Ranveer Brar’s statement still echoes in my ears when he said to the top two finalists of MasterChef Season 7, Nayanjyoti Saikia and Shanta Sharma that ‘’The whole India came but only Assam remained. It’s a victory not only for them but for Assam, and the whole of North East.’’

MasterChef Season 7 aired its last final episode on 31st March 2023 and while we got to see some very passionate and amazing budding chefs, the one who could finally lift the trophy was Nayanjyoti Saikia, from Tinsukia, a district in Assam, North East. Out of the three-course meals that he cooked that day, one was the Duck, a non-veg dish, made in an Assamese style. While for every Assamese, it was a moment of beaming joy to witness our cuisines and our unique taste traveling far and wide, it also prompted me to think that there are so many other types of cuisine that Assam specializes in but many other parts of India have probably never tasted it or doesn’t even know about it.

Hence, being an Assamese, here are the top 5 Assamese food items that every individual from other parts of India should definitely taste if they want to know what an ‘authentic Assamese platter’ tastes like. Also, the below food listicle may contain food ingredients that may not suit everyone. So kindly go through the foodstuff contained before munching on these delicacies:

1. ALOO PITIKA (Mashed Potato): While many of us are familiar with the taste of mashed potatoes, the ingredients used to make it are quite different in Assam. Unlike the common mashed potatoes that you get everywhere, the one made in Assam has additional raw spices, chopped onions, and tomato, a pinch of snack spice, sometimes a boiled egg and oil. This is one of those side dishes which can make even the most boring of the main dishes appealing. 
  1. KHAAR (Alkali): Khaar is not only good to taste but also beneficial for one’s health. Made with pulses, vegetables, fish, or meat, it works as a digestive property. As it is mainly made from dried banana peels which help in detoxifying the body, Khaar is believed to cleanse one’s stomach after overeating. In every Assamese thali, Khaar is one dish that is mandatory to serve.
  1. BAH- GAJ Curry (Bamboo Shoot Curry): While many cannot have this curry due to its extremely strong smell, for the ones who can, it surely lingers in their taste buds. Bah-gaj can be cooked either with fish or meat. For every Assamese, Bamboo shoot curry truly feels like a homecoming.
  1. GAHORI (Pork dish): (Note: Recommended for people who consume pork and are not allergic to its meat.) While Chicken is the staple non-veg for Assamese people, pork is an emotion for many. The latter is a form of meat that is not consumed by many, but still, it’s widely believed that the best pork is only available in the Northeast. Whether it’s in the form of a curry or fried, anyone who visits Assam, or for that matter, any part of the North East, should definitely try a Pork Dish.
  1. DOI AND MIHIDANA (Curd and small-size boondi): Getting done with all the main courses, we all crave some sweet munchies. In many typical Assamese households, the common dessert is always curd, garnished with small-size boondi. While in many parts of India, this food combination is rare to find, in Assam, it is one of the most favorite sweet dishes which is savored by all.

The above listicle is purely a personal suggestion. There are a lot more Assamese dishes that are yet to gain recognition in mainstream India. The MasterChef journey of both Nayanjyoti and Shanta Sharma is an inspiration and proud moment for everyone and we only hope that it is a founding stone in the flourishing of Assamese cuisine all around the world.

Ritika Das

Delhi North '24

Ritika Das is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Content Writing team for it's website. While she has explored different genres of topics but the most comfortable ones have always been entertainment, books and sports. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She was the ex-sub editor of the English Editorial society of her college. She has also successfully published various articles in many regional and national newspapers and also in some of college magazines across du circuit. Her love for films and literary works justify the fact that she has done a two years minor course on Multimedia and Mass communication. In her leisure time, Ritika loves to get hold of the latest web series/films and also has an affiliation towards art and craft. She considers herself as one of the biggest cricket fan and and a true lover of Hindi old songs.