Style > Fashion

THE VOGUE COMEBACK: RETRO FASHION TRENDS THAT ARE BACK IN STYLE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Fashion moves in loops. When you step out on fashionable streets, you’d find how retro trends are so in vogue. These resurrected latest styles have smidgens of the 60s-80s trends. It can be established that trends have a tendency to return. For instance, in 1947, Christion Dior created and introduced a revolution called the New Look – it was inspired by the 1860s cult of the sand clock figure. Similarly, with a vision of reviving the forgotten femininity of the First World War, designer Jeanna Lanvin was one of the first to create an 18th-century romantic-inspired dress in the 1920s. With improvisations and modifications according to contemporary fashion, history is replete with instances of these good old styles making their way back into the latest fashion market, in unique tinges and refurbished looks. Well, it is a thrill of another kind when you go out shopping and see traces of those iconic looks you’ve always admired in all your favorite classic films and sitcoms!

Here are some of the popular retro fashion trends that could never be put to rest—these were so loved when they first made their way into the fashion industry, and even now, after all these years, they are still being loved like ever before.

1. Flared and baggy jeans

Flared, baggy, and bell-bottom jeans are back on track. For all those who’d always wanted their jeans to be extra-comfy and easy-fitting, these pants making a comeback would be the most ecstatic news ever! I remember recalling how my grandmother used to chuckle and show me clippings of retro movies with actors and actresses wearing those loose-fitting jeans and saying, “Well see, now this is some 50 years old films, and look, you’re wearing the same!”

2.  PUFF SLEEVES

Originally seen in the 1500s royal courts and assemblies, the puff-sleeve style was revived again in the 1980s by the Bollywood industry. Iconic looks of trendsetters like Hema Malini, Zeeman Aman, and Parveen Babi echoed the same. And look, now when it’s 2023, we find these back in our wardrobes! Yes, it is so cool! With little improvisations in the styles and patterns, these can also be effortlessly styled with ethnic clothing. With these trends resurfacing again it is so enthralling to realize how these are back to being better than ever!

3.  POLKA DOTS

Spot on! The Polka Dots pattern is definitely one of those trends that can be put to rest so easily. This pattern had always surfaced and resurfaced like a fashion statement—each time with a novel vibe. Yes, you can never get enough of the polka dot trend! While it had always been off-and-on in the fashion industry, this cool pattern has fitted into styles of almost all sorts. Want something cute and pretty? Polka Dots. Want something bold and flashy? Polka Dots.

4. CHOKERS

With a tinge of gothic style, chokers have always been known to make your style elegant and graceful. The recent surge in this ancient jewelry being back in style owes to many social media and fashion influencers who had been experimenting with unique newer looks. With pearl-studded or beaded, it’s best to style these with wide-neck or strapless outfits, and that’s not it! These chokers are even worn over high-neckline tops and they look absolutely stunning!

5. SCRUNCHIES

Wear it on your wrist or wear it in your hair—scrunchies have become the new cool. With a cute and aesthetic touch, this hair accessory has won our hearts. Well, but is it even something new? I recall my mom looking at my scrunchy and telling me how she used to call it a ruffle hair band and how it was so in vogue in her college days. Absolutely, it is so fun to realize how scrunchies ruled my mom’s college days just like they are ruling mine.

The revival of these long-forgotten trends ensures how, like time, fashion too is cyclic. Fashion designers have always been known to experiment with old styles and little here-and-there modifications in them to create something new. However, this paves way for the fact that the old trends never die. Fashion moves in loops. It is recreated and revived back to life.

Arushi Sethi

Delhi North '24

Arushi Sethi is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus at Delhi North. She is a part of the Content Writing team, writing and exploring a plethora of genres in her writings for the website including lifestyle, entertainment, fashion, wellness and culture. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year English Literature student at Hansraj College, University of Delhi. She is currently serving as the Content Editor for Willow – the journal of The English Society of Hansraj College, and has previously served as the Editor-in-Chief for Credence Foundation, a non-profit organization. Furthermore, she is a member of the Editorial Wing of Kavyanjali – the Poetry Society of Hansraj College, and Ostraca – the Creative Writing Society. She has also written for Hans, the college magazine of Hansraj College. And with a vast experience of participating and chairing in several Model United Nations Conferences, both as a Journalist and Executive Board, she also holds a keen interest and grip over journalistic writings. Being a poet, content writer, blogger & editor, she is constantly exploring newer ways to fulfil her passion for words. For her, there is bliss in reading, writing, listening to music, singing and playing the piano.