Significance of Sociology for Society

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Sociology is the study of human social relationships and institutions. We all know what sociology means, but why is it important to study sociology? What makes sociology relevant? These are a few questions asked by many students worldwide.

As they say, a human being is a social animal. To understand the actions and behavior of a human being, it becomes essential to understand his/her environment. Studying sociology helps us analyze the society and the behavior of different individuals in that society. Thus, it becomes essential to unravel the social nature of an individual. Society comprises several social institutions like school, home and church, to name a few. Sociology helps us understand the role of these institutes. Schools not only provide education but also help in the development of an individual’s character. Similarly, home is the first place from which a human being picks on several behavioral traits.

Other than social institutions, sociology also gives us an in-depth insight into social evils and social crimes. For an instance, dowry is a social evil that is prevalent in India. Through sociology, we can understand the reason dowry is embedded in our society’s structure, along with the thinking that goes behind the practice of such social evils.

Social norms are another aspect of society, which is addressed in the study of sociology. Social norms are most commonly defined as rules or expectations that are socially enforced. Forming a line outside the store, shaking hands while meeting and covering your mouth while sneezing are a few examples of social norms. Moreover, the study of sociology points out that it is crucial to adhere to these social norms in order to be a relevant part of society.

Sociology bridges the gap between several communities by providing relevant information to the government in order to promote the well-being of minority communities. Sociology is useful in decoding international relationships as well. The societies of different nations function differently. Studying sociology helps us understand this difference and live in harmony with other nations.

Therefore, the importance of studying sociology stems from its use in all spheres of our lives. From the workplace to home, the application and relevance of sociology are omnipresent.

Tanvi Bhanot

Delhi North

I am extremely passionate about writing articles and poetry.