Wellness

Reminder: Breaks And Productivity Aren’t Exclusive!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Working for more than twelve hours a day, missing out on sleep and living life like a humanoid is considered the new normal. This distorted perception that breaks are nothing but a waste of time and excessive work is the only way to outshine has made us prioritize all things in life except the most essential element—ourselves.

Working relentlessly for hours together without taking proper care leads to physical and mental exhaustion. Short breaks are often necessary for improving productivity. Not only does it help in reducing stress levels, but it also helps maintain performance. 

Students too are advised to take short breaks while studying. The 45-15 principle, for example, advises the students to study for 45 minutes and then take a break for 15 minutes. This allows the person using the technique to be efficient while preventing burnout. It is an amazing technique to prevent procrastination as well. Another technique called Pomodoro technique (a 25-minute productive session followed by a 5 min break and a longer break after completing 4-5 Pomodoro sessions) emphasizes taking a breather in between too.  

Lunch/snack breaks, chatting with peers, taking a power nap, listening to songs, or simply taking a stroll out for a couple of minutes can surely reset your mind and give you a fresh perspective to look at things with. The goal is to be doing something apart from routine tasks to relax your mind. 

The corporate sector of several countries in the West have begun to opt for a four-day workweek to prevent employees from reaching the burnout stage. A report of Iceland shows that people working four days a week are more focused, efficient and have a positive sense of well-being. 

The notion that working for more hours will always result in a greater output is false. It is always better to work smart and prioritize your wellness along with your goals. Only when you feel good will the output be good. 

In this world full of chaos, make sure that you do not lose yourself completely. Give yourself time. Work smart. Take breaks, eat and sleep well and take care of yourself. After all, Shawn Achor has rightly said, “Happiness inspires productivity.”

Zoya Hanif

Delhi North '23

A second-year student at Hansraj College who's always up for trying something new!