REJOICE! ZEE MUSIC IS BACK ON SPOTIFY AND SO ARE THESE 5 ALBUMS

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

2023 seemed to end well for many music lovers. Guess why? After a year-long gap, on December 6, 2023, all music albums under Zee Music Company were again made available on the Spotify music application. For those unversed, at the beginning of 2023, Spotify removed the entire catalog of Hindi songs produced by Zee Music Company. It was reported that Zee Music had decided not to renew the licensing agreement with the music app. Hence, both of them were unable to reach a licensing agreement. It was estimated that over two dozen tracks in India’s Spotify Daily Top 200 were from Zee Music. Popular Bollywood music albums such as ‘Raees’, ‘Gully Boyand ‘Bang Bang‘ were not available.

This was a major blow to my listening cycle. Zee Music has produced some of my favorite songs and suddenly, I was unable to access them on Spotify. Hence, I either had to listen to them on YouTube or download it from other websites. But now, the issue seems to be resolved and all the soul-southing albums are back on the app!

While there are several Hindi albums, I cannot wait to hear those by Zee on Spotify again! Thus, in the joy of this news, here are my top album choices from Zee Music:

• KEDARNATH‘: For me, Kedarnath has always been a special and emotional movie. Particularly because it starred one of my favorite actors Late Sushant Singh Rajput. The movie is also special because of its melodious tracks. I missed listening to ”Qafirana”, ”Namo Namo” and ”Sweetheart” on Spotify. The album is composed by Amit Trivedi, one of the few music composers who has always amazed me with his brilliant skills. I am especially happy with the recent development as I can finally hear all the soundtracks on a loop!
  • KALANK’: In my Spotify wrapped 2023, the most-played female artist was Shreya Ghoshal, and the most-played composer was Pritam. Even though both Shreya Ghoshal and Pritam have collaborated on several occasions, there is something special about the movie Kalank. Every song, from ”Tabbah Ho Gaye” to ”Ghar More Pardeshiya”, makes you realize the power of Indian classical music. The title track called ”Kalank” was one of the best love songs of 2019. Other songs like ”First Class” and ”Aira Gira” surely hit the mark in uplifting your mood. Kalank is a diverse music album where every song has its league and popularity.

Apart from the aforesaid favorites, there were various other Zee albums that I missed listening to. I wish the news could have been released slightly before the annual Spotify Wrapped because in that case, my Wrapped might have looked different. Nevertheless, these albums surely helped me sail through the finals season!

Ritika Das

Delhi North '24

Ritika Das is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Content Writing team for it's website. While she has explored different genres of topics but the most comfortable ones have always been entertainment, books and sports. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She was the ex-sub editor of the English Editorial society of her college. She has also successfully published various articles in many regional and national newspapers and also in some of college magazines across du circuit. Her love for films and literary works justify the fact that she has done a two years minor course on Multimedia and Mass communication. In her leisure time, Ritika loves to get hold of the latest web series/films and also has an affiliation towards art and craft. She considers herself as one of the biggest cricket fan and and a true lover of Hindi old songs.