This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

All of us live in a society and what makes our life more vibrant and alive is having people around us who possess distinct personalities and opinions. We all have our own sight to look at the world and it’s quite natural to have a specific opinion about everything. But what is problematic is not allowing ourselves to look beyond that mindset. Moreover, expressing our opinions while making others uncomfortable is also not right. When we do that, we volunteer ourselves to become a part of the judgmental slot of society.

‘THE JUDGEMENTAL FRAGMENT OF SOCIETY’ — there are no eligibility criteria to get into this society. Its membership is open to all sexes, age groups and communities. The main objective of this society is to discourage people who attempt to break the glass ceiling and the prevalent stereotypes.

Everyone has a different idea of what makes a perfect personality, but we also ought to respect other people’s beliefs. All of us have the freedom to do whatever we feel like and no one has assigned us the duty to be the judges in the lives of others. This judgmental society perceives people on the basis of their looks (skin color, body shape, height, etc.), their financial conditions (such as not wanting to stand with someone who is economically weaker than you, etc.), opposes you from doing something that is not morally correct according to them (like girls wearing short clothes, men doing household chores, girls and boys hanging out together or pursuing a career that is unconventional).

This often leads to feelings of depression, anxiety and self-doubt in the people being judged. Therefore, many people worry about acting on their convictions in order to stay ‘in line’ with society. However, the harsh reality is:

‘When you judge others, you do not define them. You define yourself.’

Earl Nightingale

It is high time we realize our faux pas and amend it before life plays boomerang with us. Though people cannot quickly change their minds and the way they perceive everyone and everything, they can, at most, attempt to be open-minded by accepting others for who they are. Let’s for once try practicing the maxim ‘Live and let live!’ in its truest sense.

Adaa Gupta

Delhi North '24

Hey! Being a simple girl, I just try creating a content through which people could relate to me. I attempt to use normal language to keep my readers engaged and satisfied:)