Life > Experiences

LAITLUM CANYON: A SCENIC GRANDEUR IN THE HEART OF MEGHALAYA

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Meghalaya, also referred to as the ‘abode of clouds’, is a mesmerizing state in the Northeastern region of India. It truly is a nature’s paradise! Far away from the hustle and bustle of city life, Meghalaya provides a spectacular time to relax and unwind in its abode of nature. The pristine state of Meghalaya acts as a much-needed getaway for people who want to spend quality time amidst the region’s scenic beauty. Within Meghalaya, several breathtakingly beautiful places often leave tourists in awe, ranging from the famous Mawlynnong Village, Umiam Lake, and Dawki, to Cherrapunji. But there is one particular place that encapsulates like none: the Laitlum Canyon. A hidden gem, Laitlum Canyon is perched atop the East Khasi Hills of Shillong and is one of the most picturesque tourist destinations in India. 

At Laitlum, we can see the presence of breathtaking gorges and steep, winding staircases that make their way down to the lush valley. Setting foot in the canyons, one could get in the feels of admiring the magic of mother nature. The panoramic view that the Canyon offers is ravishing. Its serenity feels like a warm hug. Laitlum Canyon is a must-see destination for every nature enthusiast. The drive to the canyons starts from the capital city, Shillong. The journey is around 25 km long and takes approximately 45 minutes to an hour. The route is picturesque, with lush green hills and valleys on either side of the road, making it a scenic drive. It is a journey that takes any tourist beyond the beaten path, offering a chance to connect with nature in its purest form.

The majestic hills of Laitlum are also known as Meghalaya’s Amphitheatre, with a range of hues varying from lush green to brown-red appearance at dawn and dusk. The scenery is an ideal muse and source of inspiration for artists and photographers. I believe, here, the photographers aren’t required to make many edits to their photographs as the raw image captures the spellbinding beauty, adding perfection to their vision. With a gathering of enthusiastic tourists, painters, and singers atop the panoramic view of the hills, it all comes together to create a blissful setting. The place lets people exhibit their creativity, matching the verdant scenery all around. 

While exploring the Laitlum Canyon, the presence of a beautiful stream adds more enchantment to the place. It makes a great resting spot to take a break and get some fresh air amidst the busy lifestyle. Many tourists host picnics as well! The canyons have four small waterfalls, which is a visual spectacle to behold. Throughout the trail, one can walk through several adorable houses situated on a rocky road running through the hills. With the residents living along the edge of Laitlum Canyon, you can get a glimpse of an astonishing view of the valley below. The residents farm on the edges of the mist-shrouded cliffs that plunge sharply into the valley. It gives you a chance to learn more about the canyons while interacting with the warm-hearted locals. 

At the top of the Laitlum Canyon, tourists can see Rasong, a hamlet situated deep in the green ridges of the Laitlum Gorge. The residents of Rasong use an old ropeway to transport food, grains, and essential commodities down into their village and to the top of the ridge. Racing is also accessible through a 3000-step stairway built into the mountain. These 3000 steps are a means to navigate through the village of Rasong and the nearby market located there. The lovely orchids and bamboo plantations can be seen when going down the steps. Racing is cut off from the outside world and is only connected through a single ropeway with the canyon atop, a life of its own. 

The Canyon is a perfect place for trekkers, as the route to the destination includes long, rocky yet interesting roads. These roads offer a wonderful trekking journey in a place surrounded by ethereal beauty that is too tempting to miss. 

Laitlum Canyon is often not included in tourists’ bucket lists of destinations, primarily due to unawareness by travel experts. The situatedness of the Canyon is also a reason as it is slightly far away from Shillong and other popular tourist destinations in the state. The lack of crowds and commercialization in this area enhances the experience, allowing one to wander in peace and breathe in the elegance of the entire place. Whether you are a trekker, nature enthusiast, or someone who wants to spend quality time on a holiday in the rich foliage, Laitlum Canyon is the place for you. It awaits to show you an unparalleled beauty that refreshes your mind and body and offers tranquility. 

To be able to experience such beauty was pure bliss for me. I’ve always been intrigued by hills and mountains, and the Laitlum Canyon truly enhanced my likeability for the panoramic views that the hills provide. It’s a place I would always vouch for a getaway. Visiting the Canyon was like a breath of fresh air for me; the scenery made me want to stay there longer, gazing at the spirit of the hills and the way it makes people embrace its beauty. 

🗻 Related: A peek into Shillong’s Sakura
Kakolika Gogoi

Delhi North '25

Kakolika Gogoi is a member of the editorial team at Her Campus Delhi North Chapter. She is determined to produce write ups related to career, life and entertainment that include the coverage of the world of education, movies and music, and general life experiences. Kakolika is extremely passionate about the field of international relations and public policy and could see her scroll through her twitter feed only to acquaint herself with the occurrences of the world. She is a trained singer and hence never misses a day without getting her vocals set into numerous tunes, that is to say, she loves to sing with her heart out. A movie buff, Kakolika favors watching movies that comprise great historical drama and feel good romcoms. Her mom is her biggest bestfriend and hence is the one with whom she can gossip all day long and rant together with all the relatable problems that come along their way!