K-Drama Gems: Netflix Picks With Powerful Social Messages

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

In recent years, Korean dramas, popularly known as K-dramas, have created a global frenzy, and I’ve grown to be a fan of them. I was introduced to K-dramas through a friend of mine who had been raving about them for months. Despite my initial reluctance, I ultimately chose to give it a try. My first K-drama, Descendants of the Sun, had me fascinated from the moment I watched it. I adored the characters, the plot, and the general flow of the drama. Hopping onto the bandwagon, I went on to watch K-dramas such as Itaewon Class, Hotel Del Luna, Crash Landing On You, and Vincenzo. Since then, I’ve acquired a love for K-dramas and watch them frequently.

K-Dramas have a huge selection of genres, with compelling narratives, gorgeous graphics, and well-rounded characters. But what sets Korean dramas apart is their ability to thoughtfully tackle significant social concerns. Watching these dramas has also taught me a lot about Korean society and culture. The stories and characters have also taught me to perceive the world around me critically and empathetically. 

Hence, if you’re looking for K-dramas that will not only entertain but also make you think, then here are my five favorites!

1. The Glory (Part I: 2022, Part II: 2023)  

The Glory is a Korean television series directed by  Ahn Gil-ho, starring Song Hye-Kyo, who played the role of Moon Dong-eun. It revolves around Moon Dong-eun, a woman scarred by childhood memories of bullying by her classmates. She meticulously plots her vengeance against her tormentors and their enablers. The drama starkly critiques the culture of silence and impunity surrounding school violence, underscoring how the enduring trauma affects victims in adulthood. It emphasizes the role of bystanders in perpetuating bullying. It advocates for accountability and a compassionate society for victims of bullying. “I’m not a victim,”, “I’m a survivor, I’m not going to let them define me.” and, “I’m going to take back my life,”, are some of my favorite dialogues from the drama as they not only portray the protagonist’s resilience but also highlights how she didn’t let her bullies define her. The dialogues are inspiring because they show that it is possible to overcome even the most difficult challenges. Available on Netflix, The Glory is a must-watch for fans of Korean dramas and revenge thrillers alike.

2. Itaewon Class (2020)

Itaewon Class (2020) is a Korean television series directed by Kim Seong-yoon, starring Park Seo-Joon (Park Sae-ro-yi) and Kim Da-mi (Jo Yi-seo) as the leads. The story is about Park Sae-ro-yi (played by Park Seo-Joon), a young man who opens a bar-restaurant in Itaewon, Seoul, with the goal of expanding it into a franchise and defeating Jangga Group. Jangga Group is a food company owned by the man who killed his father. Along the way, he gathers a team of misfits and outcasts who help him achieve his dreams.

This drama celebrates diversity and the underdogs of society. It features a diverse cast of characters from transgenders, and single mothers to ex-convicts who often face discrimination and marginalization in South Korean society but overcome adversity to achieve their dreams. “I will not live my life according to someone else’s rules.” and “Don’t be afraid of big dreams. It is the stepping stone of success.” are some of my favorite Park Sae ro-yi’s quotes from the drama as they show his unwavering belief in himself and his dreams. The dailogues are also inspiring because they show that it is possible to achieve anything once you set your mind to it. Available on Netflix, the drama challenges conventional Korean values and hierarchy and promotes the message of inclusivity and equality.

3. Our Blues (2022)

Our Blues (2022) is South Korean television series directed by Kim Kyu-tae, starring Lee Byung-hun ( playing Lee Dong-Seok), Shin Min-a (playing Min Seon-A), Cha Seung-won (playing Choi Han-Su), Kim Woo-bin (playing Park Jeong-Jun), Uhm Jung-hwa (playing Ko Mi-Ran), Roh Yoon-seo (playing Bang Yeong-Ju), Kim Jae-won (playing Choi Han-Su), Choi Young-joon (playing Bang Ho-Sik), etc. Set on Jeju Island, the series tells the stories of various people who are experiencing ups and downs in their lives.

Our Blues has a social message of community, resiliency, and optimism. Numerous social issues are covered in the series, such as discrimination, poverty, mental illness, families, and teen pregnancy. Through the stories of its characters, it portrays that hope for a brighter future persists even in the most dire circumstances. “This is an illusion. The darkness isn’t real.” and “Am I not worth having feelings for.” are some of my favorite dailogues from the drama as they not only show the depths of the characters’ suffering but also their willingness to fight and overcome it. Streaming on Netflix, the series also challenges the negative stereotypes in South Korean society, celebrating the human spirit and reminding us that we are never truly alone.

4. Our Beloved Summer (2021-2022)

Our Beloved Summer (2021-2022) is a South Korean romantic comedy series directed by Kim Yoon-jin, starring Choi Woo-shik (playing Choi Woong) and Kim Da-mi (playing Gook Yeon-soo) in the lead roles. It portrays the story of two ex-lovers who are forced to reunite after five years of their breakup. They filmed a documentary during high school which suddenly went viral when it resurfaced online, forcing them to reunite.

It series conveys a strong message that it is okay to fail. Woong and Yeon-soo both experience setbacks in their careers and relationships, but they learn to persevere and bounce back. They also learn to support each other through their failures. Our Beloved Summer is a heartwarming and relatable story about love, loss, and second chances.“They say the more you try to ignore the past, the more you become trapped in it.” and “My life wasn’t a work of art. It was a mess. But I lived it.” are my favorite dialogues because they not only speak about the universality of overcoming the past and the imperfection and challenges of life but also how life is still worth living and experiencing. It is a reminder that even when things fall apart, there is always hope for a new beginning.

5. When the Camellia Blooms (2019)

When the Camellia Blooms (20190 is a South Korean romantic comedy-drama directed by Cha Yeong-hoon, starring Kong Hyo-jin (playing Oh Dong-Baek), Kang Ha-neul (playing Hwang Yong-sik), and Kim Ji-seok (playing Kang Jong-Ryul). Set in the fictional town of Ongsan, the series tells the story of Oh Dong-Baek, a single mother who runs a bar called ‘Dongbaek’s Camellia’, and Hwang Yong-sik, a police officer who falls in love with her. Yong-sik must race against time to catch the killer and protect Dong-Baek, as she becomes the target of a serial killer in the town.

The K-drama promotes the message of empowerment, resilience, and community. The series challenges stereotypes about single mothers and sex workers. It shows that women can be strong, independent, and successful, even in the face of adversity. This drama is a heartwarming and suspenseful watch about love, loss, and redemption. “The greatest beauty is the beauty of heart.”, and “There is no night that lasts forever, and there is no day that breaks without hope.” are some of my favorite picks from the drama as they not only speak about the importance of inner beauty over outer beauty but also focuses how beauty gets reflected in one’s actions and characters. The dialogues are also a reminder that even in the darkest times, there is always hope for a brighter future. It is a story about the power of community and the resilience of the human spirit.

I can’t picture my life without K-dramas. They’ve made me laugh, cry, and feel intense emotions. I strongly recommend watching one of them if you haven’t already. You may end up discovering your favorite genre (well I did!). If confused about where to start, then follow my recommendations!

Paridhi Madhukallya

Delhi North '26

Paridhi Madhukallya is a student at IPCW majoring in Political Science Honours. She is actively involved in various NGOs and organizations. Apart from her academic pursuits, she has a passion for singing and enjoys listening to music in her free time.Paridhi enjoys experimenting in the kitchen, showcasing her culinary talents. As a dedicated K-drama enthusiast, she finds joy in exploring the captivating world of Korean dramas. Additionally, her playlist is filled with the energetic beats of K-pop, reflecting her eclectic taste in music. Paridhi's life is a delightful blend of flavor, music and the enchanting entertainment of Korean culture.