RECOGNIZING WOMEN LAUREATES OF THE DADASAHEB PHALKE AWARD

Updated Published
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

In the glittering realm of Indian cinema, the Dadasaheb Phalke Award stands as the most prestigious recognition that honors artists for their lifetime achievements in making exceptional contributions to the industry. The recent addition to the illustrious list of recipients of this esteemed award is the veteran actress Waheeda Rehman. As this award continues to make headlines today, let’s take a journey through time to trace back and celebrate all the remarkable women who’ve been honored with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award for their iconic presence in Indian cinema.

1. DEVIKA RANI

Our cinematic journey begins with Devika Rani who is celebrated as the ‘First Lady of Indian Cinema’. Leaving an enduring legacy in the world of film, the actress became the first recipient of the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 1969. Her story began with her debut in the 1933 film Karma and later trailed into a journey replete with other iconic movies like Achyut Kannya and Nirmala. During an era when women in Indian cinema were often typecast in traditional roles, Devika Rani broke away from the prevailing stereotypes of women and portrayed characters with depth and professionalism. She successfully etched her identity in a film industry that was already male-dominated, proving herself to be a true trailblazer!

2. SULOCHANA (RUBY MYERS)

Ruby Myers, popularly known by her stage name Sulochana, was an actress of remarkable charisma who became a prominent figure during the silent film era in India. Her journey began at the Kohinoor Film Company in 1917, where she was discovered by film producer Dadasaheb Phalke. Under his mentorship, she adopted her stage name ‘Sulochana’. Some of her most celebrated films have been Wild Cat of Bombay and Cinema Queen. In 1973, the actress posthumously received the Dadasaheb Phalke Award.

3. KANAN DEVI

Kanan Devi, lovingly called ‘the first lady of Bengali Cinema’, was an iconic actress and singer who won the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 1976. Her journey into cinema began at a young age when she was cast in the film Jore Barat. Further, with her melodious voice, she earned fame and appreciation for contributing vocals to songs penned by the Nobel laureate Rabindranath Tagore. She appeared in numerous films, including Street Singer and Abhinetri, leaving an indelible mark with her timeless songs and enchanting performances on the big screen.

4. DURGA KHOTE

Durga Khote was an honorable actress who was awarded the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 1983. Durga Khote was widowed at the age of 26, hemmed in by a society where widows faced societal restrictions and limited opportunities. Her bold step towards joining the film industry as a step towards financial and personal autonomy demonstrated her determination to break the shackles that society often puts on women. And with her exceptional talent and charisma, she gave back-to-back hits, winning millions of hearts nationwide. Her august presence in legendary movies like Amar Jyoti and Ayodhyecha Raja is still remembered with love and admiration. Her portrayal of the character of ‘Jodhabai’ in the film Mughal-E-Azam remains her most iconic and memorable role to date!

5. LATA MANGESHKAR

Lata Mangeshkar, the Nightingale of India, is a name synonymous with melody. She stands as the epitome of music itself. Being one of the most celebrated playback singers in the history of Indian cinema, she was awarded the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in 1989. From Lag Ja Gale to Ae Mere Watan ke Logon, from Tere Bina Zindagi Se to Meri Awaaz Hi Meri Pehchaan hai – the list of her iconic songs is endless and there is no doubt about how her timeless voice is a radiant thread that has permanently woven itself into the hearts of millions. Her songs continue to be cherished. Her legacy continues to soar.

6. ASHA BHONSLE

Asha Bhonsle, the Queen of Versatility, has captured the hearts of millions of music lovers worldwide! With her unique tonality and exceptional talent, her voice has effortlessly traversed genres and moods! From soulful slow songs to peppy foot-tapping numbers, her songs are timeless pieces of musical art that continue to enthrall listeners! Beyond her contribution to popular music, her rendition of ghazals, bhajans, and classical songs further exemplifies her versatility. She was honored with the Dadasaheb Phalke Award in the year 2000.

7. ASHA PAREKH

Asha Parekh emerged as a beloved actress, known for grace and charm on the silver screen! Her journey into the world of Indian cinema began at a young age when she joined the industry as a child actress in the movie Maa. She later made her lead debut in Dil Deke Dekho. Some of her most iconic movies continue to be Teesri Manzil, Kati Patang, Love in Tokyo, Sajan, and Caravan. In 2020, she was awarded the Dadasaheb Phalke Award. Due to her remarkable success in films that proved super hits in the industry’s golden era, Bollywood lovingly called her its ‘Jubilee Girl’!

8. WAHEEDA REHMAN

Celebrated for her breathtaking beauty and remarkable talent, actress Waheeda Rehman was recently awarded the Dadasaheb Phalke Award. Her journey began when she was spotted by the legendary filmmaker Guru Dutt. Her debut film C.I.D. marked the beginning of her acting career. Some of her most celebrated performances have been in films Pyaasa, Kaagaz Ke Phool, Chaudhvin Ka Chand, Saahib Bibi Aur Ghulam, and Guide. Apart from her acting career, she is also known for her work in social causes and philanthropic endeavors.

These are artists who have not only entertained the masses but whose legacies will forever continue to inspire and captivate audiences. These women have made remarkable contributions to Indian cinema, setting up an exceptional example for generations to come. These women are true legends- not just recipients of awards, but creators of cinematic legacies that will forever be loved and admired!

Arushi Sethi

Delhi North '24

Arushi Sethi is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus at Delhi North. She is a part of the Content Writing team, writing and exploring a plethora of genres in her writings for the website including lifestyle, entertainment, fashion, wellness and culture. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year English Literature student at Hansraj College, University of Delhi. She is currently serving as the Content Editor for Willow – the journal of The English Society of Hansraj College, and has previously served as the Editor-in-Chief for Credence Foundation, a non-profit organization. Furthermore, she is a member of the Editorial Wing of Kavyanjali – the Poetry Society of Hansraj College, and Ostraca – the Creative Writing Society. She has also written for Hans, the college magazine of Hansraj College. And with a vast experience of participating and chairing in several Model United Nations Conferences, both as a Journalist and Executive Board, she also holds a keen interest and grip over journalistic writings. Being a poet, content writer, blogger & editor, she is constantly exploring newer ways to fulfil her passion for words. For her, there is bliss in reading, writing, listening to music, singing and playing the piano.