JOURNEY INTO INDIA’S SOUL: The Top 5 SONGS FOR A VIRTUAL VOYAGE OF THE COUNTRY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Have you ever ventured through all of India’s 29 states and seven union territories? It’s a challenge only a few can truly claim. India, an expansive tapestry of uncharted wonders, attracts explorers from every nook and corner. Even though many of us try to explore it as much as we can, despite our best efforts, our travel lists remain adorned with unchecked destinations.

But what if I told you that you could immerse yourself in the essence of an Indian state with just a pair of earphones?

Yes, it’s possible through the power of music! Hindi Cinema or Bollywood, as a treasure trove of diverse themes, has a special place for songs that romanticize the cities of India. These Hindi melodies are born from the narratives of films, the love stories of protagonists, or simply the spirit of a place. To the listener, these songs transport us to those cities, and fill us with a sense of belongingness, even if we’ve never set foot there.

So, here’s a captivating selection of the top five Hindi songs whose lyrics paint vivid portraits of specific Indian cities!

1. YEH HAI BOMBAY MERI JAAN ( MOVIE C.I.D; RELEASED IN 1956): Mumbai, the commercial hub of India, is popularly known as ‘Mayanagiri’ or the ‘City of Magic’. It’s said that once you have lived in Mumbai, it stays with you forever. As you gaze upon the magnificent skyscrapers on one side, your eyes meet the largest slum in all of India on the other. Mumbai, a city of paradoxes, unfolds its myriad wonders for exploration, and this song paints a vivid portrait of the hustle-bustle and ceaseless energy coursing through its streets. Nostalgically referred to as ‘Bombay‘ (original name of Mumbai until 1995), this song is a masterpiece, adorned with the melodious voices of legends Mohammed Rafi and Geeta Dutt. With lyrics like ’Kahi Building, Kahi Drama, Kahi Motor, Kahi Mill’ (A building, a drama, a motor, a mill), it unveils the industrial heart of Mumbai. Yet, it also ends with ‘Ek Milta Nahi Dil’ (The heart’s nowhere to be found), reminding us how, amidst the urban hustle, we often lose sight of our most cherished human connections and emotions. Mumbai welcomes all with open arms, but always be careful because, as the song says ‘Jara Hatke, Jara Bachke, Yeh Hai Bombay Meri Jaan’ (Be a little different, be a little cautious, this is Bombay, my love!), urging us to tread cautiously in its embrace
  1. YEH LUCKNOW KI SAR ZAMEEN (MOVIE: CHAUDHVIN KA CHAND; RELEASED IN 1960): Lucknow is popularly known as the City of Nawabs. A beautiful city with monuments, history, and delicious food to welcome you, the song ‘Yeh Lucknow Ki Sar Zameen’ was again one of the earliest attempts in the Hindi Cinema to describe a city through a song. The song perfectly captures the grandeur of Lucknow, through lyrics like Ye Rang Roop Ka Chaman, Yeh Husn-o-ishq Ka Vatn, Yahin to Vo Mukaam Hai, Jahaan Avadh Ki Shaam Hai’ (these colorful gardens, this land of beauty and love, this is the place where the evening of Awadh is happening). Sung by the legendary singer, Mohammad Rafi, the song is an ode to the Urdu culture that the city takes pride in and also the wave of romance that people can feel in the air of Lucknow.
  1. YEH KASHMIR HAI (MOVIE BEMISAL; RELEASED IN 1982): Kashmir, popularly known as the heaven on earth, literally means ‘land desiccated from water’. While there are many songs written on the scenic and astonishing beauty that Kashmir holds, this one perfectly captures it in a beautiful philosophical way. Sung by the legendary trio, Lata Mangeshkar, Kishor Kumar, and Suresh Wadhkar, the song perfectly introduces Kashmir asParbaton Ke Darmiyaan hai, Jannaton ke Darmiyaan hai’ (Between the mountains, between the paradise). Kashmir takes pride in its snowy mountains, blossoming flowers, and breathtaking scenery and once you visit there, your heart will indeed say, ‘jana mushkil hai yaha se’ (it’s difficult to leave this place).
  1. DILLI-6 (TITLE TRACK OF THE MOVIE DELHI 6; RELEASED IN 2006): I think whenever we refer to or even hear the term ‘Delhi’, this song unconsciously pops into our mind. Well, this is indeed the level of influence that Benny Dayal, Viviane, Tanvi Shah, Claire, and Blaaze have over everyone. While the introductory part, ‘Yeh Delhi Hai Mere Yaar, Bas Ishq Mohabbat Pyar’ (This is Delhi, my friend, just love and affection) gives you the romantic sufi side of Delhi which is imprinted by various poems, the immediate phrase,Basti Hai Mastaano Ki Delhi, Gali Hai Deewano Ki Delhi 6’ (This city is the colony of cool people and its lanes are of the admirers of Delhi), gives you a sneak peek into the crazy and fast-paced lives of the people of the city. It perfectly describes life in the capital of India!
  1. BANARASIYA (MOVIE RANJHANAA; RELEASED IN 2013): This masterpiece involves two of the greatest music maestros of Indian music, A.R Rahman and Shreya Ghoshal. It’s based on the life and culture of Varanasi, or Banaras (original name of Varanasi until 1910), a city on the banks of the Ganges river. The lyrics ‘Mann Ke Par Bhole Bhandari; Ghaat Kinare Umar Guzaari, Ghat Banarasiyaset the tone of the song, making one fall in love with the place, even though they might have never visited it. It makes you travel to the ghats (river banks) where the auspicious Maha Arti, a form of prayer in Hindu tradition, takes place, bringing in a sense of peace and serenity felt if one were present during the occasion.

In the ever-evolving world of Bollywood melodies, these five songs hold a special place in my heart. Amidst the sea of tracks released annually, you may uncover hidden gems that encapsulate the essence of our cities through their lyrics. Beyond the ones mentioned here, countless other cities may also find their lyrical tributes.

In a life brimming with mounting responsibilities, the yearning for a getaway to a picturesque destination is a shared sentiment. For those ensnared under the clutches of endless deadlines, the prospect of a vacation may seem distant. However, I hope that these five songs offer you a window to embark on a virtual tour, providing you with the momentary joy of de-stressing without pampering your work schedules.

Now plug in those earphones, close your eyes, and let the melodies transport you to the heart of India’s vibrant cities!

Ritika Das

Delhi North '24

Ritika Das is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Content Writing team for it's website. While she has explored different genres of topics but the most comfortable ones have always been entertainment, books and sports. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She was the ex-sub editor of the English Editorial society of her college. She has also successfully published various articles in many regional and national newspapers and also in some of college magazines across du circuit. Her love for films and literary works justify the fact that she has done a two years minor course on Multimedia and Mass communication. In her leisure time, Ritika loves to get hold of the latest web series/films and also has an affiliation towards art and craft. She considers herself as one of the biggest cricket fan and and a true lover of Hindi old songs.