Life > Experiences

INDRAPRASTHA COLLEGE FOR WOMEN: CELEBRATING JOURNEY OF A CENTURY

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

I vividly remember my undergraduate orientation at Indraprastha College For Women (IPCW). Amidst all the introductions, I recall my batch (Batch of 2024) being referred to as a special one. Being the centennial batch, we were set to graduate in the year when IPCW would turn 100 years old.

Two and a half years later, on February 7, 2024, Indraprastha College For Women at University of Delhi celebrated its centenary in the grandest way possible. For those unaware of IPCW’s history, it is the oldest women’s college in Delhi. Its foundation stone was laid in 1904, at the behest of the noted freedom fighter and educationist, Annie Besant, and led by Lala Jugal Kishore in Chhipiwara, Old Delhi. It formally came into being in 1924, with Leonara Gmeiner as its first principal. Later, the college moved to Alipur House at Alipur Road (now Shamnath Marg) in Civil Lines.

Over the years, the college has been a witness to various episodes in history – from pre-independence to early post-independence – and till today, it continues to stand strong. Despite the ravages of time, IPCW has always championed the importance of women’s education, their empowerment in various fields, and has nurtured and molded countless young minds.

Related: CELEBRATING WORLD MOTHER LANGUAGE DAY: A PEEK INTO ‘EKTA’

On February 7, 2024, as my college celebrated its 100th birthday with pomp and show, I could sense the rich legacy that it has created over the years. The celebration was graced by the Honourable Vice President of India, Shri Jagdeep Dhankhar, along with his wife, Dr. Sudesh Dhankhar. His speech about the glory of IPCW and how it has been a cornerstone for women’s empowerment made us all proud of the institution. Along with the formal rituals of prize distribution and the principal’s address, the centenary program had a showcase of students’ recitation, chorus performance and my favourite, a collaborative confluence of various regional dance forms of India.

But for me, the best part of the celebration was the amalgamation of the past and future of IPCW. Distinguished alumni and retired professors graced the occasion, rekindling the nostalgia of their college days, while current students and faculty embodied the present legacy of the institution. Every mention praise and achievement elicited cheers and applause from the audience, blurring the lines between old and new, past and present.

Personally, I felt immensely grateful to be a part of this historic milestone. The centennial celebration was a remarkable day for me. I was a part of the students’ organizing committee. Hence, I was cognizant of the hard work that was put into turning the celebration a reality. Now when I look back, all the days of slogging and working on a war footing and managing different verticals simultaneously seems worth it!

As a final year student at IPCW, the college has taught me about the several facets of womanhood. I have experienced the comfort of being surrounded by girls. It makes me confident to wear and embrace anything I love. For the first time, I was not exposed to glaring eyeballs but only compliments about my clothing. Another beautiful thing is the smooth sailing of classroom discussions about anything and everything. In IPCW, there’s seldom any hesitation or embarrassment to talk about any topic. This space has truly been my safe haven.

As IPCW turns a century old in 2024, I hope that the college continues to inspire each of its students and be a launchpad for the dreams of all IPCWians!

Ritika Das

Delhi North '24

Ritika Das is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Content Writing team for it's website. While she has explored different genres of topics but the most comfortable ones have always been entertainment, books and sports. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She was the ex-sub editor of the English Editorial society of her college. She has also successfully published various articles in many regional and national newspapers and also in some of college magazines across du circuit. Her love for films and literary works justify the fact that she has done a two years minor course on Multimedia and Mass communication. In her leisure time, Ritika loves to get hold of the latest web series/films and also has an affiliation towards art and craft. She considers herself as one of the biggest cricket fan and and a true lover of Hindi old songs.