CELEBRATING WORLD MOTHER LANGUAGE DAY: A PEEK INTO ‘EKTA’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

The University of Delhi is home to thousands of students from different parts of the country and beyond. Everyone brings along with them their distinct language, tradition, culture, etc. Even though most of them get adjusted to Delhi’s culture but deep within, they still hold strongly to their roots. Hence, to celebrate this distinctiveness, Indraprastha College for Women (IPCW) celebrated International Mother Language Day in February 2023 through a program called ‘Ekta.’ For all the unversed, International Mother Language Day is a worldwide annual observance that focuses on promoting awareness of linguistic and cultural diversity. It was first announced by UNESCO on 17th November 1999.

Organized by the Bachelor of Arts Programme (BAP) department, Ekta, a word in the Hindi language implying Unity, was a program that aimed to celebrate the various cultures that the students of IPCW hail from. It provided a platform for both the students and the faculty members to showcase the rich heritage of their states and enlighten people about their history, unique language, and how each of them intertwines to culminate the diversity on campus.

The event started with a folk dance that was based on Kashmiri Folk culture. I can still hear the opening lines where the performer said ‘Gar firdaus bar-rue zamin ast, hami asto, hamin asto’ (If there is a heaven on earth, it’s here, it’s here). The audience, who indeed hailed from different parts of India and beyond, couldn’t stop themselves from virtually traveling to the land of Bhopal through Ghalib’s poetry, smelling the Mustard fields of Punjab through Bhangra, experiencing the richness of Marathi culture through a Lavni showcase, felt the sweetness of the Bengal through the tunes of Ekla Cholo Re.’

If there were upbeat Haryanvi songs, then there was also the calmness of South Indian verses. There was mischief in Marwari’s poetry and there was grace in Odissi’s performance. All the performers tried to bring in the uniqueness and distinctiveness of their states, either through dance, singing, elocution, or free speeches. The smiles and enthusiasm on everyone’s faces, including the faculty members and the organizers, depicted the fact that the auditorium, where the event was being held, became a garland of different shades of India. 

On a personal note, it was also a great opportunity for me to speak a little about the state I belong to, Assam. To be able to pour my heart out and sing our state song, ‘O Mur Aapunar Dekh’ in front of so many people who are mostly unaware of what constitutes the Northeastern states of India felt empowering! I believe such events should take place more frequently in colleges and universities, facilitating a way to honor and celebrate the diverse cultures of India and pay homage to all of them.

Ritika Das

Delhi North '24

Ritika Das is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Content Writing team for it's website. While she has explored different genres of topics but the most comfortable ones have always been entertainment, books and sports. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She was the ex-sub editor of the English Editorial society of her college. She has also successfully published various articles in many regional and national newspapers and also in some of college magazines across du circuit. Her love for films and literary works justify the fact that she has done a two years minor course on Multimedia and Mass communication. In her leisure time, Ritika loves to get hold of the latest web series/films and also has an affiliation towards art and craft. She considers herself as one of the biggest cricket fan and and a true lover of Hindi old songs.