Life > Academics

How To Ace Your Exams – 6 Ways To Counter Exam Anxiety

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Acing an exam is a difficult task. So is staying calm while preparing for it. The pressure to succeed and give your best along with the sleepless and worrisome nights tend to take a toll on us at a certain point. 

While encountering some test anxiety is completely normal, it is essential to make sure that it doesn’t alter your performance for the worse. 

So, here are some easy tips for you to follow and keep anxiety in check. 

Start well ahead

A major reason why we feel anxious while preparing for exams is that we keep on procrastinating and then leave studying for the night before the exam. 

The smarter move is to not start so late but weeks beforehand. Not only will this help you cover your syllabus with ease, but it’ll make you feel relaxed and confident too. 

Have realistic goals

The odds of you completing 75% of your syllabus in a day are very less. So, be real with your goals. Making a to-do list with endless tasks will only lead to more disappointments. 

For example, it is always better to divide your chapters into smaller chunks and cover those. Another tip is to revise the previous topics before starting with the next portion and you’ll be good to go! 

Do not compare your progress with others

Different people have different styles and intellectual capacities. And that’s okay. The goal is not to be better than the rest but to better our own selves. 

Take breaks

Cramming and studying 24/7 is only going to increase the chances of you feeling burnt out. 

It is essential to take small breaks in between. Taking a small 15 minutes nap, going for a stroll or listening to music for a little while are some ways to rejuvenate. 

Eat healthy and sleep well

You need to take care of your body and mind. Not only will this decrease the chance of you reaching your breaking point or falling ill, but it will also enhance your performance. 

P.S: Do not forget to get a good 7-8 hour sleep the night before your exam. Also, eat something before you go inside the examination hall!

Appreciate your progress

It’s always good to appreciate how far you’ve come and to see the progress you’ve made. When you see an improvement in your performance, don’t hesitate from giving yourself a little pat on your back.

Exam-time is surely one of the most stressful times of every student’s life. Doing well, however, is not impossible. Remember to give your best and take care of yourself. 

Don’t worry, you got this! 

Zoya Hanif

Delhi North '23

A second-year student at Hansraj College who's always up for trying something new!