This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

As we embark towards the end of the festive season, it’s time that we head to get back to our normal routines. Every time, the festivities are about to end, the feeling of nothingness begins to surround us. It’s paradoxical how within a few days, we experience both feelings of euphoria and dullness. We certainly find ourselves grappling with the peculiar phenomenon of ‘post festival blues’. However, normalcy has to set in and we have to go back to the grind. This transient feeling can be overwhelming and persist for days. 

Apart from this, the festive season leaves a dent in our health and fitness regime. However, there are positive ways to deal with this. Here are a few tips that have been helpful to me. I hope you find them useful too!

The foremost thing is to ease back into your exercise routine by starting slowly and steadily. It’s better to do even a few workouts rather than doing nothing. At this point, one should focus on maintenance rather than losing fat or gaining muscle strength. 

To begin with, I believe detoxification is a part of self-care. With burgeoning efforts on health and well-being and increasing roles of dieticians and trainers especially after the post-festive season, it becomes crucial for an individual to be back to normalcy. If not done, it may lead to metabolic imbalance and other problems. I have felt that it’s quite strenuous. Nonetheless, it’s requisite too.

Here’s how one may commence body detoxification after a festive blast:

Drinking water (this had to top the list!)

Drinking water is the best way to flush toxins out of vital organs. One must drink at least two to two and a half liters of water daily. During this season, we often indulge in consuming oily foods along with a high intake of alcohol. Hence, it should become a cardinal point to consume more water than the average recommendation.

Drinking enough water has a profound impact on the skin. It lets the skin breathe and glow. It helps maintain skin elasticity. Lately, I have seen enormous videos about skincare routines and have time and again come across the idea of drinking water as one of the major steps for better skin. 

Induce green vegetables in your diet (a difficult choice for Gen Z)

Green leafy and cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower, brussel sprouts, green beans,  broccoli, kale, spinach, and others are rich in vitamins, minerals, fibers, and antioxidants. It can help fight body inflammation. A simple way of eating them is by making a raw salad. It’s easy to make and can be readily consumed. 

This may raise the eyes of Gen Zs as they delve in consuming junk food but then one has to make a conscious decision. Being a part of this well-informed generation, where health is taken well into consideration, one should try exploring this.

Exercising and walking (winter and exercise, a tedious task, right?)

Rather than being lethargic, push yourself for a walk each day. It’ll feel good to burn the extra calories that we have gained during the festive season. Walking maintains the glow, and cholesterol, energizes the body, and radiates positive energy

My routine doesn’t have rigorous exercise, I usually start with a brisk walk and later switch to running. Believe it or not, it feels extremely burdensome to get up early in the morning but once you do and step out of your house for a walk, the entire day feels so rejuvenating. 

Avoid processed foods (control over cravings is the key)

The festive season could be characterized by eating dishes that are loaded with fat, sugar, hydrogenated oils, salt, and a large number of calories. Although, it feels good to have cheat days (probably because the festive season calls for it), however, having control over cravings is the key. Stay away from them post festivities to cleanse your system and opt for healthier alternatives. 

Most of us are guilty of binge eating and neglecting our health during the festive season. However, we will have to overcome this sluggish feeling. Stay hydrated, eat moderately, and catch up on sleep to give your body the rest it deserves. Put a reminder for yourself to get up early and get to work! 

Aarzoo Rohilla, is a writer at HerCampus Delhi North. Being a political science enthusiast, she prefers to dwell in arenas which certainly pose an impact on the society from the lens of politics. Beyond this, she pens down about real life experiences and worthy happenings from the surrounding. Aarzoo is currently majoring in Political Science from Indraprastha College For Women, University of Delhi with minor in psychology. She possesses deep rooted inclination towards these subjects. She has been part of NGO’s wherein she has worked closely for the social cause. Being a part of an internship at Fortis Hospital for mental health, she has worked for pushing away mental health stigma. In her leisure time, she is usually engaged in penning her diary. She firmly believes that “you’re one of a kind”. As one goes by her name which translates to desire, she’s striving to fulfill them. Aarzoo enjoys spending time with her dog and can never say no to dance.