Here’s how Wakanda Forever might be a savior for MCU’s grueling impasse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

The last installment in phase four of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, was released early this November and has managed to swoop into the hearts of all Marvel fans equally.

Honestly, I had got into the movie theater expecting disappointment. The recent Marvel projects, especially the ones following the massive success of ‘Avengers: Endgame’ and ‘Wandavision,’ somehow lacked the remarkability that defined them. Amidst rumours of overworked VFX artists leaving the projects midway, the quality of cinematography has also clearly been dwindling. A large disinterest among fans following the major plot inconsistencies that brought down a majority of MCU projects during the last few years had also been a reason for my wariness. However, Wakanda Forever certainly came as a respite from the dying breaths of the MCU. 

The film started with a tribute to Chadwick Boseman, the actor who had previously played the role of Black Panther but unfortunately passed away in early 2020. The entire theme and presentation of the tribute were performed in such a beautiful way that it was bound to bring tears to the eyes of every person in the theater. 

The themes of grief, loss, and perseverance through all odds remained as the centerpiece around which the movie was well woven, the pacing so well controlled, that there was rarely a moment where the audience could take their eyes off the screen. 

The film also introduced the well-loved comic anti-hero “Namor” into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and the entire plot around Namor was perfectly sculpted. There were moments during the course of the film which stood as questions about our own ideals and inspired critical evaluations of human virtues. Even while dealing with heavy topics, the film did not miss the beats of light-hearted comedy. What stood out was how, even though there was a multitude of characters, all with their own individual storylines, the film did a great job of binding them all together seamlessly.

A definite compelling factor in the film was the coalescence of a multitude of female characters, who came on screen and conquered the narrative through their bold personas. The “Dora Milaje,” the army of female warriors, who had been a significant focus in the previous film, delivered the same, if not more, charisma in the sequel as well. The riveting portrayal of female solidarity was an exciting feat in the MCU, which had usually awarded prime focus only to their male superheroes. Moreover, the film introduced “Riri Williams,” also a well-loved character, who had beautifully carried forward the legacy of “Iron-Man” as his female successor, “Ironheart.” The fact that her character was given ample time to settle down and establish great dynamics with other characters also came as a pleasant surprise, considering the struggles the MCU has visibly gone through while introducing new characters in a well-paced setting in its erstwhile Phase 4 projects. 

The film very well brought all of us back to the early days of the MCU, where the projects were known for their multifaceted themes of action, drama, visual effects, and comedy, all intermingling into perfect masterpieces. 

The most spectacular of them all is the scene where “Namor” introduces the protagonist, “Shuri,” to the underwater city of “Talokan.” This breathtaking experience can be easily labeled as one of the best cinematic achievements of the Marvel Cinematic Universe till now. The Talokan experience was only one of the first few to leave all the viewers stunned. Despite being heavily adorned with special effects and larger-than-life images, the film did not fail to touch on minute life experiences and portray raw human emotions exceptionally well, making the film, in my opinion, a perfect experience.

My low expectations for the MCU’s currently struggling quality were blown away because what I saw was not only the fantastic work of a well-directed film but also a smidgeon of nostalgia that transported me back to the early 2000s when the MCU was known for its easily navigable but equally impactful performances. With the close of a significant phase, this film has positively left all Marvel fans with a glimmer of hope for a better future for the MCU.

Sitara Sigi

Delhi North '24

A history major at Hansraj college, University of Delhi. A literature nerd from Delhi who always finds herself hyperfixating on fictions and TV shows. Loves indulging in fun relatable conversations and discussions on social issues.