GET READY! YOU MAY HEAR THESE FIVE PAKISTANI SINGERS IN BOLLYWOOD SOON

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Music has no boundaries. It has always been a medium to unite and bind people through soulful melodies. A prime example of this is the music produced by India and Pakistan, loved and revered by both countries. Whether it’s the trendiest Bollywood songs or the Pakistani songs such as “Pasoori” or “Tu Jhoom”, people from both nations have enjoyed each other’s soothing creations. Bollywood’s legacy of music dates back to the era of legendary singers Kishore Kumar and Lata Mangeshkar. During their time, they had swayed the hearts of both Indian and Pakistani listeners. Additionally, the soulful ghazals of Pakistan have always captured the hearts of all. Rejoicing them makes everyone forget time and distance. In this regard, the Bombay High Court’s recent order has added to the joy of all lisztomaniacs! What’s it all about? How does it add to the enthusiasm of Indian and Pakistani music listeners?

In 2016, after the infamous Uri base attacks, several resolutions were passed by the All-Indian Cine Workers Association (AICWA), Indian Motion Pictures Producers Association (IMPPA), and Federation of Western Indian Cine Employees (FWICE) to ban Pakistani artists from working in India. It was decided that no Pakistani actors and singers would work in Bollywood or other regional films. Since then, it has been seven years since they performed in India. However, in a recent development, the Bombay High Court rejected the extension of the existing plea, allowing Pakistani artists to work in India.

Aside from all the political arguments and counterarguments about the news, what has excited me the most is that some of the most famous Pakistani artists can now lend their voices as playback singers in Bollywood. It has rekindled my hopes of cherishing some of the finest Pakistani singers whose vocals have always held a special place in my heart.

So, for everyone not quite familiar with Pakistani singers, here’s a listicle of the top five Pakistani artists we can expect to hear in Bollywood soon:

ATIF ASLAM

Given his stardom, Atif Aslam is a household name in India and Pakistan. His melodies have struck a chord with a large number of music enthusiasts. Whether it is “Pehli Nazar Mein” from the movie Race, Bakhudafrom Kismat Konnection, or Jeena Jeenafrom Badlapur, Atif Aslam has swayed the hearts of his fans or ‘ardeez’, as he fondly calls them. After the ban, he sang famous Lollywood (Pakistani film industry) songs like In Dino and Anjana. His last playback in Bollywood wasO Saathifrom the movie Baaghi 2. I am supremely excited to hear him sing again!

RAHAT FATEH ALI KHAN:

I have come across very few male singers who can hit high notes. Raheth Fateh Ali Khan is one of the exceptional gems who does this, and needless to say, he does it effortlessly. Coming from a Pakistani family of Qawwals and classical singers, Rahat Fateh Ali Khan rightfully justifies why he is the nephew of the eternal legendary singer Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan. He is credited for lending his voice to some of the most popular songs in Bollywood, ranging fromMain Jahaan Rahoonfrom the movie Namastey London, ‘Ajj Din Chadheyafrom Love Aaj Kal to my personal favorite ”Sajda” from My Name is Khan. He continued singing in Lollywood through songs such as “Sajan Bin Raina” and ”Zehal-e-Miskeen”. It would be a delight to hear him sing in Bollywood again.

ABIDA PARVEEN

Abida Parveen has never sung for Bollywood, but for Pakistan, she is the Queen of Sufi music. With a flourishing career in the Pakistani music industry for decades, she has composed several hits and has been a part of popular music albums like Aap Ki Abida, The Magic of Abida, and Heer. Her recent stints for Coke Studio have earned her a huge fanbase across the world. I came across Abida Parveen in the song ‘‘Tu Jhoom‘, sung in a duet with Naseebo Lal in the 14th edition of Coke Studio Pakistan. Upon hearing her electrifying voice, all I could wonder about was the wave she could create if she sang in Bollywood. And now with the latest development, I am really curious to see if Abida Parveen lets her aura conquer the Hindi music industry too.

ALI SETHI

When the song Pasoori“, voiced by Ali Sethi and Shae Gill, was released by Coke Studio Pakistan, it created a frenzy not only among Pakistanis but equally among Indians. While the lyrics and tune of the song were one of the prime reasons for its popularity, a major credit goes to the vocals of the singers. Pasoori is Sethi’s biggest hit till now. Apart from this, he has lent his voice to other beautiful melodies such as Nazar Se’‘, Intihaand Chan Kithan”. Although he is already an emerging superstar in Pakistan, we are eagerly awaiting his Bollywood debut.

FARHAN SAEED

Everyone who loves watching Pakistani TV Dramas may know Farhan Saeed as ‘Arsalan Jamshed Ali’ from the drama Suno Chanda. Many would also know that the title track of Suno Chanda was sung by Saeed himself. Hence, along with being a superb actor, Farhan Saeed is also a fabulous singer. Many might be unaware that the male voice in the song ‘‘Thodi Der‘ from the movie Half Girlfriend was Saeed’s. He was also the composer of the song. Ever since I listened to that song, I wondered why we often do not hear him in Bollywood. I wish for him to get more opportunities in the industry as his Indian fans have been waiting for a long time.

Although Pakistan has a plethora of talented singers who can get a chance in Bollywood, the aforesaid artists are my personal favorites. Bollywood has no dearth of prodigious singers but with these Pakistani singers joining the force, the music industry could reach greater heights. I also believe that the culmination of Indian and Pakistani singers would produce some of the most beautiful songs that we could witness in the future.

Ritika Das

Delhi North '24

Ritika Das is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Content Writing team for it's website. While she has explored different genres of topics but the most comfortable ones have always been entertainment, books and sports. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She was the ex-sub editor of the English Editorial society of her college. She has also successfully published various articles in many regional and national newspapers and also in some of college magazines across du circuit. Her love for films and literary works justify the fact that she has done a two years minor course on Multimedia and Mass communication. In her leisure time, Ritika loves to get hold of the latest web series/films and also has an affiliation towards art and craft. She considers herself as one of the biggest cricket fan and and a true lover of Hindi old songs.