Culture > News

Exploring The 42nd India International Trade Fair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Since its founding in 1980, the India International Trade Fair (IITF) has grown to become a significant occasion for the business sector. The India Trade Promotion Organization, the official trade promotion body of the Indian government, is responsible for organizing this important event. Every year, the occasion takes place at Pragati Maidan in New Delhi, India, from November 14 to November 27.

Offering both B2B and B2C opportunities, the India International Trade Fair is a sizable trade show. Renowned worldwide, it provides a forum for business and trade to interact, locate buyers, share technology, test marketing strategies, and obtain entry to markets. It has played a pioneering role in national trade growth, popularizing trade fairs as a tool for promotion, and managing India’s world-class exhibition complex for nearly three and a half decades. 

The first fair, conducted following the renovation of Pragati Maidan, took place on November 14, 2023, on the theme ‘Vasudhaiva Kutumbakam – United by Trade.’ With more than 3,500 exhibitors occupying an area of 115,000 square meters, IITF-2023 came to an end. 

A well-liked tourist attraction, the IITF features a wide range of products and services, such as automobiles, apparel, textiles, appliances, drinks, medications, cosmetics, electronics, and more. 

With over a million attendees and ₹1,500 crore in sales, the Pragati Maidan exhibition produced a record 57.9% growth in business revenue, according to the India Trade Promotion Organization (ITPO). At the fair, free specialty areas like a VR zone and children’s area were unveiled along with the first-ever navigation app. In celebration of Swachh Bharat Abhiyaan, Punjab, Haryana, and Chhattisgarh were acknowledged for their cleanliness. 

The Odisha Pavilion took home a gold prize for ‘Excellence in Display’ in the State Pavilion category, demonstrating the state’s dedication to women’s economic empowerment. Under the supervision of Additional Director Santosh Das and Suryaranjan Mohanty, the pavilion showcased a wide range of tribal handicrafts, antiquities, and artwork. The event showcased 24 stalls that highlighted the rich cultural heritage, handicrafts, and handlooms of Odisha, all while paying homage to the state’s ancient maritime commerce culture. The Odisha Pavilion’s triumph at IITF-2023 highlights the state’s dedication to women’s empowerment and its rich cultural heritage. 

Along with enterprises from India and other nations like Afghanistan, Vietnam, Tunisia, Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Iran, Bangladesh, Oman, Egypt, Nepal, Thailand, and the UAE, the expo drew attendees from 28 states and 8 union territories. Participants displayed a range of goods and services from different industries.  

PSUs, the business sector, ministries, and departments were also honored for their outstanding thematic presentations and contributions to the empowerment of India. Iranian participants displayed their handcrafted rugs, but the attention was drawn to the bright and aesthetically pleasing Tunisian ceramics and pottery.

The IITF fair saw a significant increase in business generated, with over 3,500 exhibitors and a focus on visitor satisfaction. The introduction of a world-class traffic management system and shuttle services further enhanced accessibility. Digital modes, including UPI, played a significant role in financial transactions, signaling a shift towards a cashless economy. The fair also highlighted the importance of cleanliness through visitor participation and the implementation of 5G network connectivity. The fair surpassed expectations in attendance, sales, and innovation. 

Through IITF, local artisans were supported and provided a greater platform to showcase their representation in sharing difficulties and sustainable growth. This recap celebrates the incredible diversity and achievements of businesses, leaving us eagerly awaiting the next edition. If you happen to visit Delhi sometime during November, don’t forget to explore these trade fairs!

Vaishnavi Deegwal

Delhi North '24

Hey folks! I'm Vaishnavi deegwal, an undergrad student at University of Delhi and member of HCDN. I'm a writer and researcher from Delhi, India. My current major is Multimedia and mass communication. I compose stories and share my experiences with others. The thing I like the most is journaling, photography and film discussion.