Celebrating Black History Month: Honoring Heritage, Empowering Communities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

February signifies Black History Month, an observance rooted in the Jim Crow era and formally acknowledged in 1976 during the U.S.’s bicentennial festivities. Its purpose is to pay tribute and acknowledge the contributions and sacrifices of African Americans.

Black History Month originated as “Negro History Week” in February 1926, spearheaded by Carter G. Woodson, who was also known as the ‘Father of Black History.’ Woodson, a pioneering historian, played a pivotal role in establishing the field of African American studies. Through his organization, the Association for the Study of Negro Life and History which was later known as the Association for the Study of African American Life and History (ASALH), he aimed to foster discussions on the Black experience among individuals from diverse ethnic and social backgrounds.

Woodson selected a week in this month due to Abraham Lincoln‘s birthday on February 12 and because Frederick Douglass, who, although born into slavery without a known birth date, honored February 14 as his birthday.

In 1976, President Gerald R. Ford formalized the observance by declaring February as Black History Month, urging the public to “seize the opportunity to honor the too-often neglected accomplishments of Black Americans in every area of endeavor throughout our history.”

Every year, the ASALH selects a distinct theme for Black History Month. The theme for 2024 is ‘African Americans and the Arts’. According to the ASALH, African American artists have utilized art not only to safeguard history and communal memory but also as a tool for empowerment. The organization emphasizes that in 2024, it will delve into the diverse history and experiences of African American arts and artisans.

Those who have no record of what their forebears have accomplished lose the inspiration which comes from the teaching of biography and history.

Carter G. Woodson, Father of Black History Month and Founder of ASALH

Colleges help expand social consciousness and promote social and civic engagement among students. Hence, finding ways to celebrate and engage in Black History Month is important.

Black people have enormously shaped history, popular culture, and society all over the world. From inventions, science, maths, languages, music, food, and dress, Black people have been and continue to be trendsetters and innovators.

On campuses, uplifting and supporting Black students demonstrates acknowledgment of their cultural and social impact. It contributes to alleviating social ills and injustices that garb social structures. 

In light of this year’s theme, college campuses could organize various events and activities to celebrate and explore the intersection of African American history and the arts. Here are a few ideas that can be explored:

1. Movie Screenings:

Movies about Black culture are seen to focus on imperative historical events like the enslavement of Africans and the Civil Rights Movement. However, the consumption of films that depict their joy and everyday life is equally important. In this regard, the following movies caught my eye:

• The Hate U Give (PG-13) tackles police brutality in the U.S., focusing on its disproportionate impact on the Black community. Based on Angie Thomas’ young adult novel, it follows Starr Carter as she confronts systemic injustice after her best friend’s death by a police officer.
  • Regina King’s One Night in Miami… imagines a 1964 meeting of Malcolm X, Sam Cooke, Jim Brown, and Muhammad Ali, delving into friendship and leadership in the civil rights era. Her debut emphasizes authentic Black storytelling.
  • In The Forty-Year-Old Version, Radha Blank stars as a playwright, rediscovering her love for rap at 40 in New York City. It provides an intimate portrayal of a Black woman’s journey, emphasizing authenticity and resilience.

2. Literary Readings Sessions: 

It’s always a great time to highlight Black poets and authors who have produced literary works that shed light on the community’s experiences. Books offer us an educational resource to learn about historical events and the perspectives of others. My reading suggestions include the following: 

• Alice Walker’s The Color Purple, a seminal work in African American literature, won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction in 1983 and was adapted into a film in 1985. Set in rural Georgia, it follows African American women navigating trauma, racism, and sexism with resilience and sisterhood.
  • Michelle Obama, the first Black First Lady, is a charismatic leader admired for advocating women’s empowerment and inspiring millions with her memoir Becoming. The book candidly recounts her journey from the South Side, Chicago to the White House, offering wisdom on self-discovery and persistence.
  • Lola Akinmade Åkerström’s In Every Mirror, She’s Black explores the lives of three Black women entangled with an influential white man, delving into themes of racism, tokenism, and the nuances of Black womanhood.

3. Hosting Lecture Series: 

Colleges can organize lecture series featuring scholars, artists, and activists who specialize in African American studies, history, literature, or the arts. Topics can range from the history of African American art movements to the role of art in social justice movements. A few advocates that I look up to are:

Exposing students to Black art would offer a vital window into history, culture, and struggle. Through various mediums, they could gain insight into discourses associated with culture, identity, and social justice, fostering empathy and critical thinking.

Encouraging Black students to feel included and supported on campus involves actively listening to their experiences, understanding the need for self-education on their history, and recognizing the diversity within the community. By embracing intersectionality and learning about the interconnectedness of social identities, people can better appreciate the nuances of Black experiences. Engaging with resources such as Black history museums, documentaries, and podcasts can provide highly valuable insights, promoting cultural understanding. Celebrating this Month is a vital opportunity to honor the contributions of African Americans and address their journeys and struggles. 

Let’s make Black History Month a meaningful celebration on all college campuses, fostering inclusivity and appreciation for the community’s art, culture, and history.

Apeksha Arya is an author/writer at Her Campus' Delhi North chapter. She writes about topics her brain gets stuck on. She has a worked in college editorial society and is a Bachelor's English Honors student at Indraprastha College for Women, University of Delhi, with a strong interest in psychology. Apeksha is an avid fiction reader and 'hopeful romantic.' As a writer, she aims to provide fresh perspectives and meaningful stories that connect with readers, making an impact through the written word. When she's not drowning in assignments, you'll find her with a cup of chai in one hand and a good book in the other. She's also a self-proclaimed foodie, always on the hunt for the best local eats and an explorer for love of museums and monuments.