Wellness > Health

Busting popular (but NOT true) myths about Pilates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Hello, fellow fitness fanatics! Hope you guys are doing great and keeping fit. 

Over the past few years, Pilates has emerged as one of the most well-known and practised forms of exercise amongst health and fitness enthusiasts, both men and women. And it’s popularity has undoubtedly risen to new heights, especially after the pandemic managed to lock us all inside the confines of our homes. It won’t be wrong to say that COVID is one of the biggest reasons behind this sudden *Pilates boom* since it has renewed our attraction towards simple exercises which can be performed without equipment and in a limited space. 

From celebrities like the Kardashians,  Hailey Bieber,  Lara Worthington and Phoebe Tonkin to fitness influencers, all seem to be suffering from the *Pilates fever*. Well, why won’t they be? Pilates doesn’t require much space, can be practised with limited to no equipment at all, and on top of that, it is super effective in toning up the body, building lean-long muscles and strengthening the core. 

All in all, Pilates rocks, but some still feel a little apprehensive about trying it out. Wondering why? Well people, things are never so simple. Even though there’s a positive hype about this form of exercise, there are also a lot of misconceptions that exist. Many people seem to have the wrong idea about Pilates, from pretending it’s yoga without the meditation (trust me it’s not) to assuming it’s not much of a workout (wait until you try it!).

But like always, we’ll not at all let you live under any fallacy. This time, we’ve taken it upon us to dispel popular misconceptions about the Pilates workout method. So, are you ready to bust some myths? Let’s go! 

Pilates is just for women (eye roll) 

This is probably the most widespread misconception about Pilates. Pilates’ suitability and advantages are not limited to women. Joseph Pilates — a gymnast, boxer, and military trainer who had a “solid” physique even in his later years, invented the Pilates Method. The fact that the method was invented by a man and is still considered more women-oriented is not fair to the other genders, now is it? However, this trend is changing and it’s changing fast; Pilates is now included in many professional athlete recovery and injury prevention programmes.

Pilates is easy (really?) 

I firmly believe in the saying, ‘don’t knock it until you’ve tried it. ‘And I’ve tried Pilates over and over again. Hell, it’s a form of workout I enjoy the most. So, trust me when I say this, ‘easy’ is NOT the word I would use to describe Pilates. In fact, when done right, it can be one of the most difficult things you’ll ever do. 

The fast track to a six-pack: the best synonym for Pilates ( Noooo:/) 

Now, that’s not TOTALLY wrong, Pilates can definitely get your six-pack going but only if you’re consistent. Moreover, Pilates has a long list of advantages that reach beyond core power. Many people think that Pilates strengthens your heart, which it does, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that you’ll have a six-pack. It’s all about consistency and….well, consistency. You’ll probably be disappointed if you come to class expecting a 6-pack in a few sessions. Pilates can also strengthen the balance and organisation of your ribs and pelvis, as well as pelvic flexibility and, as a result, your posture. All of this ensures that the deep core muscles, which include your transverse abdominals, pelvic floor, internal obliques, multitudes, and diaphragm, will be able to function more efficiently. 

Pilates is like Yoga (ughhh!) 

Although both Pilates and Yoga seek to unite the mind, body, and spirit, the physical approach used in each technique differs. To begin with, both of these movements practise using different breathing techniques. Pilates was created to help disabled people get back on their feet, while Yoga is viewed as a sequence of asanas that lead to spiritual enlightenment. So just try it out once and you’ll definitely realize that Pilates is NOTHING like Yoga! 

Doing Pilates solely can help you lose weight (uh-huh) 

Practice Pilates for the right reason, practice it to become a stronger version of yourself. Pilates is a training routine with many health benefits that often complements any other exercise regimen used to lose weight. It’s definitely not a good idea to solely depend on it to lose weight. Shedding excess weight necessitates a combination of cardiovascular exercise, a balanced diet, and a healthy lifestyle. 

I hope we were successful in busting some of the commonly held misconceptions today. Now, what are you waiting for? Go get into some Pilates action fellas!! 

Don’t forget to share your experience with us. Until the next time. Stay fit! 

Kritika Tomar

Delhi North '23

Kritika is a student of Hansraj College, University of Delhi. She's a sucker for pizzas and rom-coms. She loves cotton candy skies, acoustic music and cats.