BEYOND THE SILKS AND SEQUINS: The Illusion Of Retail Therapy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

As a child, my eyes remained firmly affixed to the screen as I watched Sonam Kapoor in the movie ‘Aisha’. It was a dream world where aspirations dripped like honey, and desires were clothes in silks and sequins. I couldn’t help but feel a yearning to step into her meticulously crafted universe, lured into the belief that her happiness was as real as the designer labels that adorned her. Reflecting on my younger self, I now see how I was ensnared in a realm where laughter and luxury often shared the same shopping cart.

Aisha, a 2010 Indian romantic comedy-drama is set in the upper-class society of Delhi, India. Aisha, dressed in privilege from head to toe, revels in her image of wealth and social standing, often oblivious to the feelings of others. That is until the arrival of Arjun, who leads her to a path of constructive growth and empathy. The film garnered attention for portraying the lavish and fashionable lifestyle of the protagonist, where it seemed like the solution to any problem was to enjoy a hearty meal and dress with resourcefulness. 

Retail therapy refers to the practice of shopping to relieve stress, reduce negative emotions, or simply experience a temporary boost in happiness. The premise is simple: acquiring new possessions, trying on new clothes, or savoring the thrill of purchase can provide a sense of gratification, empowerment, or a blissful distraction from life’s myriad problems. But what lies beneath the surface of this alluring world? 

Stepping into a bustling mall often feels like entering the pages of a high-end fashion magazine, where glossy pages come to life. There’s an undeniable allure in possessing something that can make you feel like the leading character in your very own rom-com. That new pair of shoes? They aren’t mere footwear; they’re like Cinderella’s glass slipper, ready to transform your ordinary day into a royal ball. That expensive purse? It’s not just an accessory; it’s the dependable sidekick who’ll listen to your daily trials and triumphs. 

But here’s where the enchanting facade begins to unravel. Like a magician revealing the secrets behind their tricks, the world of retail therapy inevitably peels back its layers to reveal a stark truth. Beyond the glittering sequins, we’re still the same people with the same problems. The happiness promised by retail therapy, I’ve come to learn, is often as fleeting as a soap bubble, beautiful for a moment but gone with the slightest touch. 

What’s more, the world of retail therapy carries a heavy environmental price tag, and this isn’t a price you can haggle over. The fast fashion industry, which often capitalizes on the retail therapy culture, deserves a substantial share of the blame for its contribution to environmental degradation. According to the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), the low-cost, disposable garments that define fast fashion come at a high cost to the environment. The overproduction, the exploitation of resources, and the waste generated all leave an indelible mark on our planet — a stain that can’t be easily washed away. 

Having been born in a land (India) where the spiritual and emotional self has traditionally held more importance than the physical self, the concept of retail therapy, as we know it today, is a relatively recent phenomenon in India. Research conducted by J.K. Mishra underlines how the influx of global brands, the growth of e-commerce, and the influence of Western consumer culture have collectively contributed to popularizing retail therapy in the country. As urbanization has surged, more people have had access to disposable income and have embraced the idea of shopping as a form of emotional relief.

Yet, what can be done when confronted with stressful situations that trigger the impulse to seek distractions from life’s problems? During moments of vulnerability, I’ve discovered the value of identifying the underlying emotions I’m experiencing. Rather than impulsively reaching for my wallet, I’ve considered exploring alternative ways to address these emotions. Activities like meditation, spending time in nature, or seeking the company of individuals who provide the courage to confront challenges head-on have been a source of solace. Life undoubtedly presents its fair share of difficulties, and facing them can be daunting. However, doing so often leads to moments of genuine laughter and liberation, which persist long after the initial charm of shopping has faded.

So, in the grand circus of retail therapy, go ahead and enjoy the show. Delight in the magic tricks, and admire the acrobatics, but remember that the real magic lies in the moments you share with loved ones, the self-discovery adventures, and the laughter that’s more valuable than any price tag. And who knows, just like Aisha, maybe the real treasure you’ll find at the end is the happiness that’s been in your heart all along!

Aarushi Ankita

Delhi North '26

Aarushi Ankita is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus Delhi North Chapter, where she contributes her skills to the Editorial team. Beyond her involvement with Her Campus, Aarushi is a second-year Psychology student at Daulat Ram College. She further extends her influence as the content writer for her college's Gender Champion Cell, where she passionately advocates for gender equality and inclusivity. She is also an engaged member of National Service Scheme and Eartha, actively participating in initiatives aimed at improving society through both written and practical contributions. Outside of her academic and social pursuits, she has received intensive training in Bharatanatyam and playing the piano. She is an avid viewer of acclaimed series such as "Breaking Bad" and "Fleabag", showcasing her appreciation for compelling storytelling. She loves to read books and literature which has naturally led her to cultivate her own writing skills.