The Top 5 Must-Haves In A Wedding Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

Weddings are a big part of one’s life, bringing them the scintillating feeling of being happy and anxious at the same time! In India, the concept of a wedding has been further glamorized with the arrival of ‘Wedding Videos’. The idea of shooting one’s special day has been in existence for some time now. However, contemporary technology combined with greater space for experimentation and original background scores especially crafted for these occasions have set a new bar for Indian wedding videos!

The trend of incorporating popular movie tracks in wedding videos is gradually giving way to a new era where wedding videographers try to create a personalized track as a tribute to the love story of the couple. These songs not only create a deeply personal experience for the newlyweds but also offer viewers some truly special melodies to enjoy. 

This concept became popular in 2017 when Indian actress Anushka Sharma and cricketer Virat Kohli were seen tying their nuptial knots to the soulful ‘Peer Vi Tu’, sung by the celebrated artist Harshdeep Kaur in their wedding film. Since then, several such tracks have been released. Thus, here I present my top five wedding song recommendations, inspired by some popular Indian weddings:

1. ARZIYAAN

For those familiar with the original track ‘I Got to love you’ by Ruelle, Arziyaan represents a reimagined Hindi rendition of it. Sung by the talented Devangi Chopra, it made its debut during the wedding of Bollywood stars Bipasha Basu and Karn Singh Grover. Devangi’s graceful vocals have the ability to enchant every soul and the confluence of English and Hindi lyrics in the song makes it an ideal choice for the ‘newlywed couple dance’ at any wedding celebration.

2. PEER VI TU

When singer Harshdeep Kaur sang the prelude, ‘Ishq Wargey Te, Ishq Hi Palley’, it gave you a feeling as if you have finally won in love. The song got more famous after featuring in the iconic walking-down-the-aisle fairytale moment of Anushka Sharma when she got married to Virat Kohli in 2017. Since then, this song has succeeded in capturing the special moment in several weddings; when couples first lay eyes on each other in their wedding attire.

3. KAL Raat

This song was specially composed for cricketer Krunal Pandya and Pankhuri Pandya’s wedding. A melodious song with voices that perfectly complement the cheerful and happy-go-lucky nature of both Krunal and Pankhuri, the song sets up the ideal atmosphere for a night that is full of enjoyment and love.

4. CHAMBA

There are many versions of this Himachali folk song, but among the best ones is this version. Meaning ‘how far are the bride’s beloved ones from her mainland’, Chamba is a song that speaks about the separation of a bride from her parent’s home and how she embarks on a new journey in her married life. Beautifully sung by Harjot K Dhillon, whenever the part ‘Maae NI Meriye Shimle Di Raahein, Chamba Kitni Dur’ plays at any wedding, it is sure to make everyone go teary-eyed.

5. RANJHA

Ranjha, a popular score from the award-winning Bollywood movie ‘Shershah’ has already won millions of hearts. This revised version, specially made for the reel-to-real couple, Siddharth Malhotra and Kiara Advani (#SidKiara) who were the lead actors in the movie, has become a fan-favorite. The original song was loosely based on the long-distance relationship between a couple. However, the revised version serves as the most enchanting wedding song of all time, especially the part ‘O Rabba Mangle Duawaa Zindadi Nal Guzara(oh lord listen to my prayers, let us spend our lives together), which is perfect to play in the background while a couple takes their wedding vows.

Despite the immense beauty and soul-soothing melodies of these songs, they dwell in the shadows of obscurity, just like the gifted voices behind them. This article is a heartfelt endeavor to cast a long-overdue spotlight on the songs and the unsung talents who breathe life into them. It also serves as a guiding light for anyone in search of exclusive songs to grace their wedding playlist with a touch of uniqueness and emotion.

Ritika Das

Delhi North '24

Ritika Das is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus North Delhi Chapter and a part of the Content Writing team for it's website. While she has explored different genres of topics but the most comfortable ones have always been entertainment, books and sports. Beyond Her Campus, she is a third year Political Science student of Indraprastha College For Women. She was the ex-sub editor of the English Editorial society of her college. She has also successfully published various articles in many regional and national newspapers and also in some of college magazines across du circuit. Her love for films and literary works justify the fact that she has done a two years minor course on Multimedia and Mass communication. In her leisure time, Ritika loves to get hold of the latest web series/films and also has an affiliation towards art and craft. She considers herself as one of the biggest cricket fan and and a true lover of Hindi old songs.