Life > Experiences

A GREEN OASIS: The Subtle Language Of Houseplants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North chapter.

The Nature that once enveloped humanity in its embrace, where we found the greatest comforts, has now been replaced by the artificial cocoon we’ve woven around ourselves. Yet, the poetic allure and the profound subject of love- that nature has always represented in the eyes of humankind- is beyond comparison. While we may have surrounded ourselves with steel and glass, we can never fully sever our connection to the natural world. For in the realm of nature, where simplicity reigns and time stands still, we find the poetry of life and love.

Today, we stay in our modest rooms, far removed from the grandeur of towering forests and flowing brooks. In these confines we can, at the very least, usher in a small yet significant fragment of that expansive, natural world. This can be done in the form of houseplants which bridge the gap between our urban lives and the untamed beauty of the outdoors.

A study by NASA revealed that certain houseplants, such as snake plants and pothos, can effectively remove indoor air pollutants, including formaldehyde and benzene. These plants are nature’s air purifiers, filtering out harmful toxins and enhancing the air quality. They also release oxygen and improve humidity, making our living spaces healthier and more comfortable. 

With this green army, we bring the beauty of nature and the vitality of the outdoors into our everyday lives. This ensures that even in the heart of the city, we remain connected to the soul-soothing wonders of the natural world. Research conducted by the Royal Horticultural Society suggests that the rhythmic and repetitive nature of gardening and plant care can lead to a reduction in cortisol levels, the stress hormone. These dainty, green life forms are a testament to the exquisite simplicity woven into the existence of this life force. They breathe, they grow, and they flourish, all in their unassuming grace. This calming effect is why many plant parents often describe their leafy companions as sources of therapeutic comfort.

As caretakers of these green marvels, we hold the transformative power to turn mundane spaces into extraordinary sanctuaries. By nurturing these plants, we imbue our surroundings with an atmosphere that reflects the unique persons of each plant. Whether it’s the understated elegance of a snake plant, the playful charm of a Boston fern, or the captivating patterns of a Monstera deliciosa, each plant carries its distinct character, casting a deep effect over the room it inhabits.

Plant parenthood, with all its physical and emotional rewards, is a challenging journey. It is much like caring for a child who can’t vocalize their needs. In this relationship, each plant emerges as a distinct individual with its silent language of growth, unique preferences, and specific needs. Watering routines, light exposure, humidity levels, and even the subtleties of temperature- all play a role in nurturing these green companions. Yet, on this journey of patience and learning, we discover that the language of plants is not entirely silent; it’s a language of presence and absence, of flourishing and withering, of vibrant greens and muted hues. They teach us the art of attentive listening, for they communicate their well-being not through words, but through the vibrancy of their foliage, the firmness of their stems, and the resilience of their growth.

In the world of plant parenthood, where care is provided without the expectation of words, we find an extraordinary form of companionship. It’s a journey where we learn to decipher the nuanced signals of nature, where the art of nurturing thrives in the subtleties of existence. It’s in this realm of shared understanding, in the gentle sway of leaves and the vibrant growth of stems, that we find not just challenges but also the deeply fulfilling rewards of fostering life.

Aarushi Ankita

Delhi North '26

Aarushi Ankita is a Chapter Member at the Her Campus Delhi North Chapter, where she contributes her skills to the Editorial team. Beyond her involvement with Her Campus, Aarushi is a second-year Psychology student at Daulat Ram College. She further extends her influence as the content writer for her college's Gender Champion Cell, where she passionately advocates for gender equality and inclusivity. She is also an engaged member of National Service Scheme and Eartha, actively participating in initiatives aimed at improving society through both written and practical contributions. Outside of her academic and social pursuits, she has received intensive training in Bharatanatyam and playing the piano. She is an avid viewer of acclaimed series such as "Breaking Bad" and "Fleabag", showcasing her appreciation for compelling storytelling. She loves to read books and literature which has naturally led her to cultivate her own writing skills.