This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delhi North East chapter.

As the new semester begins, it’s a great time to start exploring new books that can broaden your knowledge and stimulate your mind. Whether you’re looking for inspiration, education, or entertainment, there are countless books to choose from. However, to help you narrow down your choices, we’ve compiled a list of the top 5 books to read this semester.

“The Alchemist” by Paulo Coelho – This international bestseller is a beautifully written fable about a shepherd boy who embarks on a journey to discover his personal legend. The book is full of inspiring quotes and profound insights about life, love, and destiny. It’s a must-read for anyone who wants to find their purpose in life.

“Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind” by Yuval Noah Harari – In this groundbreaking book, Harari offers a sweeping overview of the history of our species. From the evolution of Homo sapiens to the rise of modern civilization, the book presents a compelling narrative of how we got to where we are today. It’s a thought-provoking read that challenges our assumptions about the world.

“The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People” by Stephen Covey – This classic self-help book has been a bestseller for decades, and for good reason. Covey’s seven habits provide a framework for personal and professional success, and his insights on leadership, communication, and time management are timeless. Whether you’re a student or a working professional, this book is a must-read for anyone who wants to improve their productivity and effectiveness.

“The Power of Now” by Eckhart Tolle – This spiritual guidebook offers a fresh perspective on the nature of consciousness and the human experience. Tolle’s teachings on mindfulness and presence are simple but profound, and his insights can help readers cultivate a deeper sense of peace and inner fulfillment. This book is a great choice for anyone who wants to deepen their understanding of spirituality and meditation.

“1984” by George Orwell – This dystopian novel has become a cultural touchstone, and its themes of government surveillance and totalitarianism are more relevant than ever. Set in a future world where individual freedom is strictly controlled, the book is a chilling warning about the dangers of authoritarianism. It’s a thought-provoking read that will make you question the nature of power and control.

In conclusion, these are just a few of the many great books to read this semester. Whether you’re looking for inspiration, education, or entertainment, there’s a book out there for you. So why not pick one up and start reading today? You never know what insights and discoveries you might find.

Leena Joshi

Delhi North East '24

Leena Joshi is a social entrepreneur, climate advocate and author. She is the founder and executive director of Ethereal, a youth-led climate nonprofit, with 9000 volunteers in 60+ countries. She has sat on boards and advisory councils for various organizations. She has been a member at Harvard Business Review Ascend Select and has provided insights to editorial, marketing and product teams of HBR and has contributed to research projects by HBR. Leena's work has been featured by World Bank Group, United Nations Climate Change, United Nations Foundation, Climate Reality Project, Her Campus Media, Feminist and Lady Gaga's Born This Way Foundation. She was previously a Member at Global Leadership Challenge at Oxford University. She has been an Ambassador for organizations including World Bank Group, Greenpeace USA, 4ocean and Plastic Pollution Coalition. Leena is a prolific public speaker who has spoken at universities across the world including Harvard, Oxford and Cambridge. She has authored books including 'The Climate Awakening' and 'Ethereal' and writes poetry about social impact.