Style > Beauty

Why You Should Embrace Thick Hair With Bed Head Superstar Queen for a Day Spray Thickening Spray

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

At least once a day, I proclaim, “Ugh, I hate my hair!” Don’t believe me? Ask my friends. Perhaps even strangers, because it is obvious that my hair is the main source of my annoyance. More times than not, I wrap my hair up into a tight bun or ponytail. When my hair is allowed to roam free on rare occasions, the alien feeling of my hair brushing my shoulders and face distracts me. In fact, I recollect a few times where I sporadically whipped my head around upon the sensation of something crawling on me, only to look like a jittery fool, tricked and scared by her own hair. I even sloppily chopped off my bangs the day my preschool school picture was being taken and blamed it on my dog — totally clever of my younger self.

Truth be told, I have a weird, fluctuating relationship with my semi-thick hair. Some days, I demand my stubborn hair to grow faster. Other days, I long for the perfect opportunity to chop off my hair for donation. But don’t worry, this is not a self-loathing rant. I am lucky to be bestowed with golden blonde, healthy and thick hair.

For those with thick hair, the struggle is real. The endless hours of waiting for your hair to dry, the constant strangulation by loose strands and the betrayal from your own hair failing to remain calm fulfill all of the checkboxes describing wild, stubborn hair. Not to mention, the discovery of hair strands on floors and clothes is a daily occurrence.

Just like a coin has two sides, so does a relationship. In my love-hate relationship with my hair, I have good days where I claim bragging rights that my braids look amazing and my hair appears voluminous. As a nice bonus, I am far less likely to form bald spots in the future. Having thick hair doesn’t seem so bad anymore, right?

So yes, thick hair is essentially like Jack-in-the-Box. It is all fun and games when you are cranking with the melody playing until the clown pops out and suddenly it is a rainy day and your hair is frizzy. In other words, maintaining thick hair has an element of surprise depending on the weather and hair products used. Luckily there are strategies available to prevent your hair from being a new person everyday, and even to make your hair thicker if you are feeling adventurous. For instance, you can use thickening shampoo and conditioner, avoid extensive use of hot tools and experiment with spray – such as the Bed Head By TIGIi’s Superstar Queen for a Day Thickening Spray – to make your hair tamed, thick, and more voluminous. These methods, and the fact that having thick hair has many advantages, will hopefully lead you to the self-revelation to embrace your hair because hey, you have to live with it for the rest of your life so you may as well learn to tolerate and accept your hair.

She is currently a junior double majoring in Human Services- Clinical Studies Concentration and Sociology as well as minoring in Sexualities & Gender Studies at University of Delaware. She is actively involved in Alpha Phi Omega, ASL club, Zumba club and Friends for Friends. In her free time, she likes to blast music, dance crazily, act like a fool, pet dogs and look at trees.
Kaylee is the former President and Editor in Chief for Her Campus at the University of Delaware. She held this title from 2017-2020 and wrote for Penn State's chapter as a contributor prior to this. Now a proud UD class of 2020 alum (B.A. in Public Policy and Writing), Kaylee is completing her Masters in Public Health. Aside from writing, Kaylee was involved in many activities as an undergrad. She wrote for three college publications, was a Blue Hen Ambassador tour guide, worked as a Starbucks barista, and was the Director of Operations for the Model United Nations at UD.