This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

Happy Women’s History Month! Since 1987, when Congress was petitioned by the National Women’s History Project, Women’s History Week – which began on International Women’s Day, or March 8th – was expanded to the whole month of March. Now, March is dedicated to celebrating the accomplishments of women in our society and culture. Ranging from science to politics to writing and more, this month is used to reflect on amazing women who have paved the way for change. 

The first Women’s History Day was celebrated in 1909 on February 28th. This observance was arranged by garment workers on strike in New York. By 1913, Women’s History Day was established and moved to March 8th. The celebration of International Women’s Day was considered a radicial-left movement until it was adopted by the Feminist party in the 1960s. The holiday soon became a widespread holiday when it was finally acknowledged by the United Nations in 1977. 

For Women’s History Month in 2021, the theme is to challenge the world and those around you. A challenged world, or a challenged person, is alert and aware. This month, challenge yourself by signing petitions and educating yourself further. Women’s history didn’t stop or begin in the 1920s. 

Happy Women’s History Month!

Mary Ladely is currently a Freshman at the University of Delaware. She is a History and Political Science double major and plans to pursue law school in the future. Mary's interests include politics, literature, philosophy, and broadway.
Contributor account