This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Delaware chapter.

New year, new me?

I’m sure we have all heard this phrase about 1,000 times over the past few weeks from the same exact people we heard say it last year. Let’s get real for one moment though, no one is really going to drastically change just because some arbitrary day in the calendar screams “fresh start!!” Some healthy lifestyle changes are of course good and highly encouraged. But looking back on the tornado that was 2017, it is time to look forward and ask: who do you want to be in 2018?

It’s hard to be the person that uproots their life and full-heartedly goes for the complete personality/lifestyle makeover. To be honest, you do not have to be that person at all. 2018 should be all about finding things you love about yourself and embracing them. As young girls going through a time of stress in our lives — that’s right I’m looking at you, college — we should all be less worried about fixing ourselves. So instead of changing yourself, reflect on all your amazing qualities. Which one is going to be the front runner of 2018?

Maybe this is the year you bring the bubbly side out of you that you know is there. Your super close friends from high school see it, so why can’t more people see this from you? Sure, your face might turn super red when you speak up or talk to new people but maybe by the end of the year it will only turn a slight pink.

You may also be the kind of person who wants to take risks but holds back. If it is in you, then make it happen. Of course don’t do anything you are not comfortable with just for the sake of a resolution.

The key thing is to throw away the phrase, “new year, new me” because you deserve better than a phrase that tells you to change. Be your best self and kick some ass this semester.

Gina Magliocco

Delaware '21

Gina is a Senior at the University of Delaware and the current President of the Her Campus UDel Chapter  She is an International Relations major with a minor in Public Policy.  She enjoys writing very much and has also been published by "Young Professionals in Foreign Policy." Gina is from Westchester, New York. 
Kaylee is the former President and Editor in Chief for Her Campus at the University of Delaware. She held this title from 2017-2020 and wrote for Penn State's chapter as a contributor prior to this. Now a proud UD class of 2020 alum (B.A. in Public Policy and Writing), Kaylee is completing her Masters in Public Health. Aside from writing, Kaylee was involved in many activities as an undergrad. She wrote for three college publications, was a Blue Hen Ambassador tour guide, worked as a Starbucks barista, and was the Director of Operations for the Model United Nations at UD.